Any Tips for Stopping a Bleeding Tongue in Dogs?

• Medical
  • Thread starter blimkie.k
  • Start date
In summary, Evo cut her tongue, and were trying to stop the bleeding. I read that the tannic acid in tea bags will help top coagulate the blood. What do you guys think of this idea and do you have any other suggestions? Is she calm enough and obedient enough that you can just lay her down and relax her and use your hand and a 4x4 gauze pad to apply direct pressure for a bit? That's probably the most reliable way, if she'll put up with it. yea that's what were doing we have just been holding her for probably ten minutes now with a big towel in her mouth and it seems to be stopping, she wants to lick stuff and
blimkie.k
my golden retriever just cut her tongue and were trying to stop the bleeding i have read that the tannic acid in tea bags will help top coagulate the blood? what do you guys think of this idea and do you have any other suggestions.

Biology news on Phys.org
Is she calm enough and obedient enough that you can just lay her down and relax her and use your hand and a 4x4 gauze pad to apply direct pressure for a bit? That's probably the most reliable way, if she'll put up with it.

yea that's what were doing we have just been holding her for probably ten minutes now with a big towel in her mouth and it seems to be stopping, she wants to lick stuff and that's not helping but the towel in her mouth stops that, it seems to be getting better.

A towel may be a bit uncomfortable for her. Do you have something smaller, like a 4"x4" gauze pad or something like a small thin washcloth or cloth napkin? I'd let her get a quick drink (she must be stressed and dry-mouth, plus the taste of the blood), and then lay her quietly back down, and hold gentle direct pressure with the 4x4 or small cloth for another 10 minutes, and then have her lie down and rest quietly. That should do it. If not, it may require a trip to the vet for stitches. How big is the cut?

Its not very big you can't really even see if only when the blood comes out, but she's really calm right now just laying down so its looking good:smile:

thanks for your replys

I was going to say time but time itself beat me to the punch

angus

try piece of raw bacon --placed on bleeding area for few seconds ---on the cut side of the bacon is exposed tissue thromboplastin which is what causes bleeding to stop ---pork ttp is close enough for for humans and may work great on dogs as well .--if it is going to work , it will only take 10-20 seconds
good luck-----also afrin nasal spray on piece of gauze may work

angus2008 said:
try piece of raw bacon --placed on bleeding area for few seconds ---on the cut side of the bacon is exposed tissue thromboplastin which is what causes bleeding to stop ---pork ttp is close enough for for humans and may work great on dogs as well .--if it is going to work , it will only take 10-20 seconds
good luck-----also afrin nasal spray on piece of gauze may work

If it's still bleeding 11 days later, I don't think bacon is going to help. :biggrin:

I saw the thread title and immediately wondered, "Now what did Evo do?" :biggrin:

1. How do I know if my tongue is bleeding?

If you see blood on your tongue or notice any pain or discomfort, it is likely that your tongue is bleeding. You may also feel a metallic taste in your mouth or have difficulty speaking or swallowing.

2. What should I do if my tongue is bleeding?

The first step is to remain calm. Then, you should gently rinse your mouth with cold water to remove any blood and debris. Apply pressure to the affected area with a clean piece of gauze or cloth for about 10 minutes. If the bleeding does not stop or is severe, seek medical attention immediately.

3. How can I prevent my tongue from bleeding again?

Avoid biting your tongue or eating hard or sharp foods that can cause cuts or injuries. If you have a habit of grinding or clenching your teeth, consider wearing a mouthguard to protect your tongue. It is also important to maintain good oral hygiene to prevent infections that can lead to bleeding.

4. Can I use home remedies to stop the bleeding?

While mild cases of tongue bleeding can be treated at home, it is always best to consult a doctor if the bleeding is severe or does not stop. In addition to applying pressure and rinsing your mouth with cold water, you can also try sucking on ice or applying a cold compress to the affected area to help reduce swelling and pain.

5. When should I seek medical attention for a bleeding tongue?

If the bleeding does not stop after applying pressure for 10 minutes, is heavy or persistent, or if you notice any signs of infection such as redness, swelling, or fever, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. A doctor can properly assess the cause of the bleeding and provide appropriate treatment.