Flux & Gauss Law: Electric Field Lines & Types of Areas

In summary, Gauss's law states that the flux of electric field lines through a closed surface is proportional to the charge enclosed.
EdTheHead
I know that electric flux is defined as the number of electric field lines passing through an area but what kinda area are we talking about. Does it have to be perpendicular to the field lines like this

or could it be at an angle like this
ElectricFlux.jpe

does it have to be a flat area on 1 plane like the previous 2 examples or could it be a 3D area like this
Fig24.08.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
All of your illustrations are perfectly OK examples of an electric flux through a surface.

A flux is defined as a dot product E dot A essentially, so your flux will be reduced if the surface is not perpendicular. Think about it like shining a flashlight at a friend. If you tilt the light away from him, he can still see the light, but it's not as bright. You can just imagine that less flux is reaching him because the light has been moved at an angle relative to his eyes.

Also, it doesn't have to be a nice shape. For example in your last picture, it is not, and in this case, you'd need to use the differential formula for the flux, which involves the integration over the surface. This just takes into account that the flux through different portions of your surface is not constant, and generally you'll need a function for the surface of your shape.

mooglue: So this surface function for the surface would take into account the angle between the field lines and the normal of the surface through the whole surface? This is the first physics application of integration I've run into so far. :smile:

Is Gauss's law then just the fact that the flux is proportional to the charge?

You should be able to reduce the problem of a complex blob like object to a simple plane though if it is a solid object or a membrane like a balloon.

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-02Electricity-and-MagnetismSpring2002/VideoAndCaptions/detail/embed03.htm

"nd this is independent of the distance R.

And that's not so surprising because if you think of it as air flowing out then all the air has to come out somehow whether I make the sphere this big or whether I make the sphere this big.

So the flux being independent of the size of my sphere, the flux is given by the charge which is right here at the center divided by epsilon zero.

Now if I had chosen some other shape, not a sphere, but I have dented it like this, it's clear that the air that flows out would be exactly the same.

And so I don't have to take a sphere to find this result.

I could have taken any type of strange closed surface around this point charge and I would have found exactly the same result." -Walter Lewin

EdTheHead said:
Is Gauss's law then just the fact that the flux is proportional to the charge?
Gauss's law states that the total flux through a closed surface is proportional to the charge enclosed. See: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/gaulaw.html"

Also I'm having serious trouble understanding the difference between electric field magnitude and electric flux. Both are defined by the density of field lines per area aren't they?

EdTheHead said:
Also I'm having serious trouble understanding the difference between electric field magnitude and electric flux. Both are defined by the density of field lines per area aren't they?
No, they are not. If you want to think in terms of field lines, then the density of field lines gives you a measure of the field at some point. But you won't know the flux until an area is defined. Field is at a point; flux is over an area and depends on the orientation of the area with respect to the field.

I recommend watching Walter's videos, he is an expert advisor.

LostConjugate said:
And that's not so surprising because if you think of it as air flowing out then all the air has to come out somehow whether I make the sphere this big or whether I make the sphere this big.

So the flux being independent of the size of my sphere, the flux is given by the charge which is right here at the center divided by epsilon zero.
Thanks for the analogy that cleared up a lot of the confusion I had about [tex]\phi = \frac{q}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]. As long as the thing is enclosed the amount of flux lines hitting the total surface area will be equal but the bigger the balloon the smaller the flux will be for small segments of the balloons surface area. I wasn't really thinking about a charge being a source of a finite amount of electric field lines but thinking about it like that I get the concept.

Doc Al said:
Gauss's law states that the total flux through a closed surface is proportional to the charge enclosed. See: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/gaulaw.html"
Thanks. I didn't really contemplate the "enclosed" part of that definition now I understand the concept.

1. What is flux and how is it related to electric field lines?

Flux is a measure of the flow of a physical quantity through a given area. In the context of electric field lines, flux represents the amount of electric field passing through a given area. The more electric field lines passing through an area, the higher the flux.

2. What is Gauss's Law and how is it used to calculate electric field?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates electric fields to the charge distribution producing them. It states that the total electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space. This law can be used to calculate the electric field at a given point due to a known charge distribution.

3. What are electric field lines and how do they represent the electric field?

Electric field lines are a visual representation of the electric field around a charged object. They show the direction and strength of the electric field at different points in space. The closer the lines are together, the stronger the electric field. The direction of the electric field is tangent to the field lines at any given point.

4. How are electric field lines affected by different types of areas?

The shape and size of an area can affect the electric field lines passing through it. For a point charge, the electric field lines radiate outwards in all directions, becoming more spread out as they move further away from the charge. For a charged sphere, the electric field lines are more concentrated near the surface and become more evenly distributed as they move further away. For a charged plate, the electric field lines are parallel and evenly spaced.

5. Can electric field lines cross each other?

No, according to the laws of electromagnetism, electric field lines cannot cross each other. This is because the electric field is a vector quantity and must have a unique direction at every point. If two electric field lines were to cross, it would imply that the electric field has two different directions at that point, which is not possible.