Conservation of momentum theory question

In summary, conservation of momentum states that if an object is moving forward, its momentum will be conserved. If an object is moving in the opposite direction, its momentum will be reversed.
Apollinaria
Hi,

I was wondering how one could know when velocity would be in the opposite direction in a momentum question.

For example, two skaters are skating together (as one) at the same speed.
Skater A pushes skater B and B moves at 13m/s. Find the speed of skater A.

I found it and it's the correct answer. But I assumed skater A would still be moving in the same direction as opposed to the opposite direction (after pushing).

So, logic?...

Physics news on Phys.org
Recall that momentum is a vector. So if the direction of motion of skater A were reversed, his momentum would be different. Only one solution will conserve momentum.

True. But when is it reversed? How do I know when it is reversed?
Edit: Just based on the fact that momentum is conserved? In that case, how do I know when it's conserved? I assumed it always is.

Apollinaria said:
Edit: Just based on the fact that momentum is conserved? In that case, how do I know when it's conserved? I assumed it always is.
That would be a good assumption.

Doc Al said:
That would be a good assumption.

How do we end up with people/objects going in different directions upon collision then? I've done those types of questions too. Sometimes I get the correct answer and sometimes I don't. I'd like to know a way of recognizing the problem.

Apollinaria said:
How do we end up with people/objects going in different directions upon collision then? I've done those types of questions too. Sometimes I get the correct answer and sometimes I don't. I'd like to know a way of recognizing the problem.
All you need to do is apply conservation of momentum. It will tell you the direction of motion.

That's all you need for this problem. Other problems may be more complicated and might require additional information.

Lol, okay, thanks very much for your help :)

1. What is the conservation of momentum theory?

The conservation of momentum theory is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, regardless of any internal or external forces acting on the system. In simpler terms, it means that the total amount of motion in a system remains the same, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does the conservation of momentum theory apply to real-world situations?

The conservation of momentum theory can be seen in many everyday situations, such as when a moving billiard ball collides with another ball and transfers its momentum, or when a rocket launches into space by pushing against the ground with its engines, creating an equal and opposite force that propels it forward.

3. What are the key principles of the conservation of momentum theory?

The key principles of the conservation of momentum theory are: 1) the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, 2) the momentum of an isolated system is constant, and 3) momentum is transferred between objects in a collision or interaction, but the total momentum of the system remains the same.

4. Are there any exceptions to the conservation of momentum theory?

While the conservation of momentum theory is a fundamental law of physics, there are a few exceptions in certain extreme situations. For example, in quantum mechanics, the principle of uncertainty allows for small fluctuations in momentum, and in general relativity, momentum can be exchanged with gravitational fields.

5. How does the conservation of momentum theory relate to other laws of physics?

The conservation of momentum theory is closely related to other fundamental laws of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the law of conservation of energy. It is also a key principle in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in motion, and is often used in conjunction with other laws and theories to explain complex physical phenomena.