Can someone explain this equation to me?

• Thread starter tahayassen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary: Ignore this, I posted it by mistake, sorry. I'm texting the correct answer now,The equation d= (dx/dt)|_0 t + (d^2x/dt^2)|_0 (t^2)/2 represents linear motion with constant acceleration, where d is the distance traveled in time t, v_0 is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration. This can also be written as d=vt + (at^2)/2. The notation (dx/dt)|_0 and (d^2x/dt^2)|_0 refer to the first and second derivatives of x with respect to t evaluated at t=0, respectively.
tahayassen
[tex]d=\left( \left. \frac { { d }x }{ { d }t } \right| _{ 0 } \right) t+\left( \left. \frac { { d }^{ 2 }x }{ { d }t^{ 2 } } \right| _{ 0 } \right) \frac { t^{ 2 } }{ 2 }[/tex]

is supposed to be the same as writing

[tex]d=vt+a\frac { t^{ 2 } }{ 2 }[/tex]

The first equation seems to use the definite integral, but there's no upper limit?

Furthermore, shouldn't it be the following?

[tex]d=\frac { { d }x }{ { d }t } t+\frac { { d^{ 2 } }x }{ { d }t^{ 2 } } \frac { t^{ 2 } }{ 2 }[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is about linear motion with constant acceleration, which is described by the equation:
[tex]\frac{{{d}^{2}}x\left( t \right)}{d{{t}^{2}}}=a[\tex]

where a is a constant. Integrate once (by changing the integration variable from t to τ) from τ = 0 to τ = t, to get:

cosmic dust said:
I think it is about linear motion with constant acceleration, which is described by the equation:
[tex]\frac{{{d}^{2}}x\left( t \right)}{d{{t}^{2}}}=a[\tex]

where a is a constant. Integrate once (by changing the integration variable from t to τ) from τ = 0 to τ = t, to get:

Ingore this, I posted it by mistake, sorry. I'm texting the correct answer now,

tahayassen said:
The first equation seems to use the definite integral, but there's no upper limit?

Those aren't integrals. The notation

$$\left. \frac {dx}{dt} \right| _{0}$$

means "take the derivative of x(t) with respect to t, then evaluate it at t = 0." That is, it's simply a more complicated way of writing ##v_0##.

[tex]d=\frac { { d }x }{ { d }t } t+\frac { { d^{ 2 } }x }{ { d }t^{ 2 } } \frac { t^{ 2 } }{ 2 }[/tex]

No, because dx/dt is the function v(t), and d2x/dt2 is the function a(t).

Last edited:
It is about linear motion with constant acceleration, which is described by the equation:
[tex]\frac{{{d}^{2}}x\left( t \right)}{d{{t}^{2}}}=a[/tex]
where "a" is a constant. Integrate once (by changing the integration variable from t to τ) from τ = 0 to τ = t, to get:
[tex]\int_{0}^{t}{\frac{{{d}^{2}}x\left( \tau \right)}{d{{\tau }^{2}}}d\tau }=at\Rightarrow \left. \frac{dx\left( \tau \right)}{d\tau } \right|_{0}^{t}=\frac{dx\left( t \right)}{dt}-{{\left. \frac{dx\left( \tau \right)}{d\tau } \right|}_{0}}=at[/tex]
Integrate again using the same limits to get:
[tex]\int_{0}^{t}{\left[ \frac{dx\left( \tau \right)}{d\tau }-{{\left. \frac{dx\left( t \right)}{dt} \right|}_{0}} \right]}d\tau =\frac{1}{2}a{{t}^{2}}\Rightarrow \left. x\left( \tau \right) \right|_{0}^{t}-{{\left. \frac{dx\left( t \right)}{dt} \right|}_{0}}t=\frac{1}{2}a{{t}^{2}}\Rightarrow x\left( t \right)-x\left( 0 \right)={{\left. \frac{dx\left( t \right)}{dt} \right|}_{0}}t+\frac{1}{2}a{{t}^{2}}[/tex]
Because of the constancy of the second derivative, you could set:
[tex]a={{\left. \frac{{{d}^{2}}x\left( t \right)}{d{{t}^{2}}} \right|}_{0}}[/tex]
(alternatively, you could start by the equation [itex]\frac{{{d}^{3}}x\left( t \right)}{d{{t}^{3}}}=0[/itex] , integrate three times and get to the same result). Also you can define: [itex]x\left( t \right)-x\left( 0 \right)=d\left( t \right)[/itex] so you get the equation:
[tex]d\left( t \right)={{\left. \frac{dx\left( t \right)}{dt} \right|}_{0}}t+\frac{1}{2}{{\left. \frac{{{d}^{2}}x\left( t \right)}{d{{t}^{2}}} \right|}_{0}}{{t}^{2}}[/tex]

Well, let the rest of us know!

tahayassen said:
[tex]d=\left( \left. \frac { { d }x }{ { d }t } \right| _{ 0 } \right) t+\left( \left. \frac { { d }^{ 2 }x }{ { d }t^{ 2 } } \right| _{ 0 } \right) \frac { t^{ 2 } }{ 2 }[/tex]

tahayassen, there is no integral in the equation. That is saying that d (probably "distance") is equal to the "first derivative evaluated at t= 0" times t plus "the second derivative evaluated at t= 0" times t squared. That would be the distance covered in time t with initial speed the speed at time t= 0 and constant acceleration equal to the acceleration at t= 0.

The difference between what you give initially and your suggestion is that the acceleration is assumed to always be the acceleration of x at t= 0, thus a constant.

tahayassen said:

No.
The reason is that dx/dt and d^2 x/dx^2 may be changing with time. By placing the subscripts after the parentheses, on is implying that the derivative itself isn't changing in time. The subscript is defined as meaning that the derivative is evaluated only at t=0.

tahayassen said:

Kind of skimmed through the article, but I didn't see anyone put this very plainly because apparently I have problems with reading (edit in red).

Summarizing in more vernacular terms:
What is the first derivative of x (position) with respect to time? What is the second derivative of x with respect to time?

Velocity and acceleration, respectively. I see no need for integrals. We are evaluating these values at the point where no time has passed. Thus, I think it would be more appropriate to write [itex]d = v_0 t + a_0 \frac{t^2}{2}[/itex] because we are using the initial velocity and initial acceleration.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

@cosmic dust: Why did you change the variable from t to τ? Which one of the two represents time? What does the other represent?

tahayassen said:
@cosmic dust: Why did you change the variable from t to τ?

To avoid confusion between the integration variable and the upper limit which you substitute during the final step of the integration process. Other common notations are to use t' for the integration variable and t for the upper limit, or to use t for the integration variable and tf for the upper limit (in that case you often see ti or t0 for the lower limit, which can be nonzero in general).

Which one of the two represents time?

Both of them represent times, but different ones. In cosmic dust's notation, τ is the "generic" time at any instant during the object's motion. t is the time at the end of the time period that we're integrating over, which extends from τ = 0 to τ = t.

1. What does this equation mean?

The equation is a mathematical representation of a relationship between different variables. It shows how these variables are related and how they change in relation to each other.

2. How do I interpret this equation?

The best way to interpret an equation is to break it down into its individual components and understand what each variable represents. You can also plot the equation on a graph or substitute different values for the variables to see how the output changes.

3. What is the purpose of this equation?

The purpose of an equation can vary depending on its context. It could be used to solve a problem, make predictions, or model a real-life situation. Understanding the purpose of the equation can help you better understand its meaning.

4. How do I solve this equation?

To solve an equation, you need to isolate the variable you are solving for on one side of the equal sign. This can be done by performing the same operation on both sides of the equation until the variable is alone on one side. You can then solve for the variable by substituting in values for the other variables.

5. Can you explain the steps used to derive this equation?

The process of deriving an equation involves using mathematical rules and principles to manipulate and simplify expressions until they are in the desired form. Depending on the complexity of the equation, this process can involve several steps and may require knowledge of algebra, calculus, or other mathematical concepts.