Having a problem with a fairly early Physics with Calculus 1 problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving gold, which is known for being the most ductile metal. The first part of the problem involves pressing 9.000 ounces of gold into a thin leaf of 1.000 mm thickness, and the second part involves drawing the gold into a cylindrical fiber with a given radius. The person seeking help has already solved part a, but is unsure how to solve part b. Suggestions are given to calculate the mass of the gold and convert it into volume to find the length of the fiber. The formula for the volume of a cylinder is also mentioned as a hint.
frankfjf
Hi all, been a while since I posted here needing homework help but it's a new semester and I'm already stumped (much to my shame :shy: ) Anyway, I am presented with the following problem:

Gold, which has a mass of 19.32 g for each cubic centimeter of volume, is the most ductile metal and can be pressed into a thin leaf or drawn out into a long fiber. (a) If 9.000 oz of gold, with a mass of 27.63 g/oz, is pressed into a leaf of 1.000 mm thickness, what is the area (in m^2) of the leaf? (b) If, instead, the gold is drawn out into a cylindrical fiber of radius 2.900 mm, what is the length (in m) of the fiber?

I have already solved part a, but am uncertain how one solves part b? I just need a hint or two to get started on the right direction. Do I just convert the units accordingly or do I need to obtain more information first? I was able to solve part a by simply converting the 9 oz. of gold into cubic centimeters using the information given and then further converting from there, but that doesn't seem to work for part b, unless I did my math wrong somewhere. Please help! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Still stumped... can't anyone help?

find the mass of the gold, and change it into volume. now divide this volume by the cross section area of the wire. make sure to use the right units.

The formula for a volume of a cylinder is V=pi*r2*L. Since you have already calculated the volume of gold (V), and are given the radius (r), it should be simple to find the length of the fiber (L).

Thanks for your help!

1. What is Physics with Calculus 1?

Physics with Calculus 1 is a college-level introductory physics course that combines the principles of physics with the use of calculus to solve problems. It covers topics such as motion, forces, energy, and momentum.

2. What is considered a "fairly early" problem in Physics with Calculus 1?

A "fairly early" problem in Physics with Calculus 1 is typically one that is within the first few weeks of the course and introduces basic concepts and principles. These problems may involve simple equations and calculations.

3. Why do students often have trouble with early Physics with Calculus 1 problems?

The combination of physics and calculus can be challenging for students who are not yet familiar with both subjects. Additionally, early problems may require critical thinking and application of concepts that students may not have fully grasped yet.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in Physics with Calculus 1?

Practice is key when it comes to improving problem-solving skills in Physics with Calculus 1. Make sure to thoroughly understand the concepts and principles before attempting problems, and seek help from your instructor or peers if needed.

5. Are there any resources available to help with early Physics with Calculus 1 problems?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with early Physics with Calculus 1 problems. These may include textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. Your instructor may also provide additional resources or assistance.