What speeds will result in gas mileage of at least 45 for a compact car?

• Thread starter Bitter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, the problem is that there are three possible outcomes for the car's mileage depending on its speed. If the car has a mileage higher than 45 at some point, it can only drop below 45 by switching to a different speed.
Bitter
Here is the problem I am having trouble with right now.

The number of miles M that a certain compact car can travel on 1 gallon of gasoline is related to its speed v (in mi/hr) by

M=-1/30v^2+5/2v for 0<v<70

For what sppeds will M be at least 45?

I start working the problem like this:

45=-1/30v^2 +5/2v

I then put the problem into a polynomial

-1/30v^2 + 5/2v -45

I'm fairly certain you can factor that but if not I use the quadratic.

-5/2 +- Sqr of .25 all over -1/15

That comes out to be 75/2 plus or .5

Which is equal to 38 and 37

Now three things are possible. a) I am heading in the wrong direction or b)I did something wrong or c)all the above

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not +/- .5--you divide everything by -1/15, not just the -5/2.

Anyway, once you've fixed that you'll get the same kind of result (two solutions). It means that the car's mileage will be exactly equal to 45 mpg (miles per gallon) at those two speeds. Call the speeds A and B. Now, you have divided up the speeds into three parts:
1. Those speeds less than A
2. Those speeds greater than A but smaller than B
3. Those speeds greater than B

Now, if the car has a mpg higher than 45 at some point, since the mpg function is continuous, the only way its mpg could drop below 45 by switching speeds is if at some point it exactly equalled 45. So if your car has mpg greater than 45 at one speed in 2., it has mpg greater than 45 at every point in 2. If your car has mpg less than 45 at one speed in 1., it has mpg less than 45 at every point in 1. So all you have to do is test each of 1., 2., and 3. at a single point to see if they have better or worse mileage than 45 mpg. (before you do that, based on common sense, which speed interval would you think has better mileage?)

Thank you very much for catching my error.

So basically, the values are numbers between 30 and 45?

Yes, that's the answer.

1. What are inequalities with gas mileage?

Inequalities with gas mileage refer to the varying levels of fuel efficiency among different vehicles. This can be due to factors such as engine size, weight, and driving habits.

2. How do inequalities with gas mileage affect the environment?

Inequalities with gas mileage can have a significant impact on the environment. Vehicles with lower gas mileage emit more pollutants, contributing to air pollution and climate change.

3. What can be done to reduce inequalities with gas mileage?

There are several ways to reduce inequalities with gas mileage. One is to invest in more fuel-efficient vehicles, such as hybrid or electric cars. Another is to practice eco-friendly driving habits, such as avoiding rapid acceleration and maintaining a steady speed.

4. How do inequalities with gas mileage affect the economy?

Inequalities with gas mileage can have both positive and negative effects on the economy. On one hand, vehicles with higher gas mileage can save consumers money on fuel costs. On the other hand, industries that rely heavily on gas-guzzling vehicles, such as the oil and gas industry, may suffer from reduced demand.

5. Are there any policies in place to address inequalities with gas mileage?

Yes, there are several policies in place to address inequalities with gas mileage. These include fuel efficiency standards set by governments, incentives for consumers to purchase fuel-efficient vehicles, and taxes on gas-guzzling vehicles. Additionally, many companies are investing in alternative fuel technologies to reduce their carbon footprint.