Solve Rigid Body Problem: Uniform Disc Mass m Falls from Theta=60°

In summary, the problem involves a uniform disc of mass m falling from a position where theta is 60 degrees with a fixed point P on the rim of the disc. The task is to calculate the components of thrust along and perpendicular to GP on the smooth hinge at P when theta is 30 degrees. The equations used are the transverse equation, radial equation, and rotational equation about P, which are integrated to find the values of acceleration and velocity at different theta values. The final answer for x is found to be 3root(3) - 2/6 mg, but it is incorrect and the error is unknown.
Bucky

Homework Statement

Uniform disc, mass m, falls from position where theta 60 degrees. (P is a fixed point on rim of disc).

Calculate the components of thrust along and perpendicular to GP on the smooth hinge at P when theta = 30degrees.

see attatched image for diagram

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

NB: theta with a dot is velocity (v), and theta with two dots is acceleration (r). Not sure if these are actually what the two of them mean, but that's what they'll be represented by.

Transverse Equation:

-ma(r)= mg sin theta - x
x = mgsin theta + ma(r) (1)

Radial Equation

ma (v)^2= y - mgcos theta
Y = ma (v)^2+ mgcos theta (2)

Rotational equation about P

I r= sum of moments
2/3 m(a)^2 r= -mgasin theta

2/3a r= -g sin theta

a r= -(3/2) g sin theta (3)

Integrating (3) gives

a r= -3/2g cos theta + c

c = 3/2g cos theta

at theta = 60

c = 3/2g cos 60
therefore
c = 3/4 g

so

a (v)^2= -3/2g cos theta + 3/4 g

at theta = 30, (3) gives

a r= -3/2g sin30
= -3/4g

(4) gives

a (v)^2= -3/2g cos30 + 3/4g
= -3/2 * root(3)/2g + 3/4g
= -3root(3)/4g + 3/4g

= (3-3root(3))/4 g

From (3), at theta = 60

-ma r= mgsin theta - x
-m(-g/3) = mgsin60 - x
1/3mg = root(3)/2mg - x
1/3mg = root(3)/2mg - x
2/6mg = 3root(3)/6mg - x
x = 3root(3) - 2/6 mg

which is wrong. So I won't even bother looking at my value for y...

And I'm not sure where I've went wrong :/ seems every time i attempt this question I get a different answer.

Attachments

• question4.JPG
    question4.JPG
    8.8 KB · Views: 494
Physics news on Phys.org
Have I made a mistake in setting out the equations or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

There are a few issues with your solution attempt. First, the equations you have listed as "homework equations" do not seem to be relevant to the problem. I would recommend reviewing the relevant equations for solving rigid body problems, such as the equations of motion for a falling object and the equations for rotational motion.

Secondly, it is not clear what you are trying to solve for in your solution attempt. Are you trying to find the components of thrust along and perpendicular to GP, or are you trying to find the acceleration and velocity at a certain angle? It is important to clearly define what you are solving for before attempting the problem.

Additionally, it is not clear what the values of x and y represent in your solution attempt. It is important to define all variables and their units in order to accurately solve the problem.

I would recommend reviewing the relevant equations and clearly defining what you are solving for before attempting the problem again. It may also be helpful to draw a free body diagram to better understand the forces acting on the disc.

1. What is a rigid body?

A rigid body is an object that does not deform under the action of external forces. It maintains its shape and size, and all of its points move in the same direction and distance when subjected to a force.

2. How is the mass of a uniform disc calculated?

The mass of a uniform disc can be calculated by multiplying its density by its volume. The formula for the volume of a disc is πr²h, where r is the radius and h is the height or thickness of the disc.

3. What is theta in this problem?

In this problem, theta refers to the angle at which the disc is initially released or falls from. It is measured in degrees or radians.

4. How is the acceleration of the disc calculated?

The acceleration of the disc can be calculated using the formula a = gsin(theta), where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²) and theta is the initial angle of release.

5. What factors affect the motion of the disc in this problem?

The motion of the disc is affected by the initial angle of release, the mass and density of the disc, and the force of gravity. Frictional forces and air resistance may also play a role in the motion of the disc.