What is the Correct Relationship Between r and y in This Related Rates Problem?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the derivatives of a volume equation involving a spherical container and the water level, and using implicit differentiation to solve for dy/dt and dr/dt. The original poster receives guidance on how to approach the problem and is able to successfully solve it, using Latex to present their solution.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

th_Photo1.jpg

th_Photo2.jpg

Homework Equations

Implicit Differentiation

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a diagram and I am using the info given to establish some relationships. I guess my main concern is whether I have established a correct relationship between r and y as to eliminate one of them. If I have, am having trouble differentiating the following

V=(pi/3)y^2(3r-y) which after substitution looks like

V=(pi/3)y^2(3sqrt(26y-y^2)-y)

Does this look like I am on the right track to find both dy/dt and dr/dt at y=8...or am I just making things difficult?

Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you calculate V' ?
Obviously V' should be related to y'.
Actually you should have V' = S y', where S is the free surface of water.
Indeed: if the level decreases by dy, the volume decreases by dV=S dy.

But you should not worry to calculate S geometrically, just differentiate V and see what you get.
If you like (geometry), you can also check that your result fits with the free surface.

Also, don't forget to check your result on special cases!
If y=0 you should have V'=0 too, since you are in the bottom of the (spherical) container.
Similarly, for y=2R, you should also get V'=0 since the "ceiling" is very small then.

Note:
====
Expressing y as a function of V to solve this problem is much more complicated.
You would have to solve of polynomial of degree 3!

Last edited:
I am not sure that I follow. I don't think that any special cases apply here do they? I am only trying to calculate dy/dt and dr/dt. I am given that that dV/dt is 6; V=(pi/3)y^2(3r-y); the radius of the sphere is 13, but when the water reaches height y=8, the water's radius=r.

Shouldn't I differentiate the formula for V? Since dV/dt=dy/dt*dV/dy, thus I can solve for dy/dt?

But, to differentiate V with respect to y, don't I have to rewrite r in terms of y? (or vice versa and solve for dr/dt?)

In this expression:

V = pi/3 y²(3R-y)

only y is a function of time, other things are constant.
Calculate dV/dt = dV/dy dy/dt, simplify your expression and go back to my first answer.
If you wish post your result for dV/t, I will check if it is ok, I will first check that it fits the special cases.
From you result, you will be able to solve for dy/dt.

I go to bed now and will come here again tomorrow.

[tex]If R=13 then, V=\frac{\pi}{3}y^2(39-y)[/tex]
[tex]\rightarrowV=13{\pi}y^2-\frac{\pi}{3}y^3[/tex]
so [tex]\frac{dV}{dy}=26{\pi}y-{\pi}y^2[/tex]
at [tex]y=8, \frac{dV}{dy}=144{\pi}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{\frac{dV}{dt}}{\frac{dv}{dy}}=-\frac{6}{144/{pi}}=-\frac{1}{24\pi}}[/tex]

which when I add the correct units yields the correct answer. I am not sure what the problem was but I figured it out and made my first attempt at using Latex. (I am prouder of the latter!:biggrin:)

By the way, how do I get a space in between "If" and "R" in If R=... using Latex?

Thanks Labs,
Casey

Last edited:
Normal typewriting in Latex is a mystery for me, I am used to write formulas, nothing else.
Your expression [tex]\frac{dV}{dy}=26{\pi}y-{\pi}y^2[/tex] give zero for y=0 and for y=2R=26, which is a good indication that you got the right result.
Why did you put the numeric values right from the begining?
Would it not have been more funny if you had the general expression for any value of R? You could have seen it should be proportional to y(2R-y) of course.
Anyway, you got it apparently!

What is a "Related Rates Problem"?

A related rates problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable, given that the two variables are related through an equation.

What are some common examples of related rates problems?

Some common examples of related rates problems include finding the rate at which the distance between two moving objects is changing, the rate at which the area of a growing circle is changing, or the rate at which the volume of a balloon is changing as it is being inflated.

What is the key concept used in solving related rates problems?

The key concept used in solving related rates problems is the chain rule of calculus. This rule allows us to find the rate of change of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable by taking the derivative of the equation that relates the two variables.

What are some tips for solving related rates problems?

Some tips for solving related rates problems include drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, identifying the known and unknown variables, writing an equation that relates the variables, and taking the derivatives with respect to time to find the rates of change. It is also important to pay attention to units and to check your answer for reasonableness.

Why are related rates problems important in science?

Related rates problems are important in science because they allow us to model and analyze real-world situations where multiple variables are changing simultaneously. They are often used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to solve problems and make predictions about the behavior of systems.