QM - Eigenfunction / Eigenvalue Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the eigenfunctions and eigenvalues for the operator a = x + \frac{d}{dx}. The attempt at a solution involves using the equation a\Psi = \lambda\Psi and substituting for x and \Psi, which leads to the conclusion that all values of \lambda are allowed. The concept of normalization is also mentioned, which is used in more complex cases to find the discrete spectrum of energy eigenvalues. It is also noted that asking the same question in multiple threads may not be a good idea.
danny271828

Homework Statement

Find the eigenfunctions and eigenvalues for the operator:

a = x + [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

a = x + [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]

a[tex]\Psi[/tex] = [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\Psi[/tex]

x[tex]\Psi[/tex] + [tex]\frac{d\Psi}{dx}[/tex] = [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\Psi[/tex]

x + [tex]\frac{1}{\Psi} [/tex][tex]\frac{d\Psi}{dx}[/tex] = [tex]\lambda[/tex]

x + [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex] ln([tex]\Psi[/tex])= [tex]\lambda[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]x[tex]^{2}[/tex] + ln([tex]\Psi[/tex]) = [tex]\lambda[/tex]x +c

[tex]\Psi[/tex] = e^(-[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+[tex]\lambda[/tex]x+c)

[tex]\Psi[/tex] = e^(-[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+[tex]\lambda[/tex])[tex]\Psi[/tex](0)

Not sure from here... I think I plug into initial equation?

a[tex]\Psi[/tex] = [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\Psi[/tex]

substituting and using chain rule I obtain...

x[tex]\Psi[/tex] + ([tex]\lambda[/tex]-x)[tex]\Psi[/tex] = [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\Psi[/tex]

so x + ([tex]\lambda[/tex] - x) = [tex]\lambda[/tex]

so [tex]\lambda[/tex] = [tex]\lambda[/tex] nope I guess I don't do that... good check though, so I guess this is the correct way to solve for eigenfunction... Can someone help me with finding [tex]\lambda[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Normally, the spectrum of allowed eigenvalues [itex] \lambda [/itex] is obtained from the normalization condition. I.e., there should be a non-zero normalization constant (which you denoted by [itex] \Psi(0) [/itex]) such that the integral of the square of the modulus of the wavefunction over entire space (the total probability of finding the particle) is equal to 1. In your case, this doesn't matter, because the wavefunction is normalizable for all real [itex] \lambda [/itex]. So, all values of [itex] \lambda [/itex] are allowed. However, in more complex cases such as a particle in a potential well - the normalization condition would allow you to find the discrete spectrum of energy eigenvalues.

Eugene.

P.S. Perhaps, it is not a good idea to ask the same question in three different threads.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=182374
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=182369

Thanks Eugene...

Sorry about that... Kind of new to this... I havn't seen a way to delete your own posts... but there probably is one...

1. What is the Eigenfunction/Eigenvalue Problem in QM?

The Eigenfunction/Eigenvalue Problem in Quantum Mechanics is a mathematical concept that deals with finding the possible states of a quantum system and the corresponding values that can be measured for a specific observable. It involves solving a differential equation, known as the Schrödinger equation, to determine the "eigenfunctions" (or wavefunctions) of a system and the "eigenvalues" (or allowed energy levels) associated with those functions.

2. Why is the Eigenfunction/Eigenvalue Problem important in QM?

The Eigenfunction/Eigenvalue Problem is important in QM because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems. By finding the eigenfunctions and eigenvalues of a system, we can determine the possible states that the system can be in, as well as the probabilities of measuring certain values for a given observable. This is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

3. How is the Eigenfunction/Eigenvalue Problem solved?

The Eigenfunction/Eigenvalue Problem is solved by applying mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables and boundary conditions, to the Schrödinger equation. This results in a set of possible eigenfunctions and their corresponding eigenvalues for a given system. In some cases, analytical solutions can be found, but in more complex systems, numerical methods are used to approximate the solutions.

4. What is the significance of eigenfunctions and eigenvalues in QM?

Eigenfunctions and eigenvalues have a significant role in QM because they represent the possible states and values that can be measured for a given system. The eigenfunctions describe the probability distribution of a particle in a particular state, while the eigenvalues correspond to the allowed energy levels of the system. This allows us to make predictions about the behavior of the system and understand the underlying principles of quantum mechanics.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Eigenfunction/Eigenvalue Problem?

The Eigenfunction/Eigenvalue Problem has numerous applications in various fields, such as quantum chemistry, solid-state physics, and nuclear physics. In quantum chemistry, it is used to model the behavior of atoms and molecules, while in solid-state physics, it helps in understanding the properties of materials at the atomic level. In nuclear physics, the Eigenfunction/Eigenvalue Problem is crucial in determining the energy levels and allowed states of atomic nuclei. It also has applications in technology, such as in the development of quantum computers and quantum cryptography.