Eigenfunction of an Operator

In summary, to prove that u(x)=exp(-x^{2}/2) is the eigenfunction of \hat{A} = \frac{d^{2}}{dx^{2}}-x^2, you can apply the operator to the function and show that it is a multiple of the function. If you do not know the eigenfunction in the beginning, you can find it by solving the differential equation Au = au. This can be done using series solutions, specifically by assuming u=P(x) exp(-x^2) and solving for P using the series method. The resulting solutions will be finite order polynomials known as the Hermite polynomials.
buraqenigma
How can i prove that [tex]u(x)=exp(-x^{2}/2)[/tex] is the eigenfunction of [tex]\hat{A} = \frac{d^{2}}{dx^{2}}-x^2 [/tex].(if i don't know the eigenfunction how can i find it from expression of A operator)

Physics news on Phys.org
By substitution- how else?

Like This ?

Is this true? [tex]\frac{d^{2}u(x)}{dx^2}-x^{2}u(x) = a u(x)[/tex] u(x) is the eigenfunction and a is eigenvalue for this function

Last edited:
By definition, yes, it's true. You can check for something being an eigenfunction by applying the operator to the function, and seeing if it does indeed just scale it. You find eigenfunctions by solving the (differential) equation Au = au.

Notice that you are not required to find an eigenfunction- you are already given it. You only need to show that this function is an eigenfunction by applying the operator to it and showing that you get a multiple of the function.

Yes ,But?

Main question is, if i don't know the eigenfunction in the beginning ,how can i find the eigenfunction of operator A ? i can't solve the de. [tex]\frac{d^{2}u(x)}{dx^2}-x^{2}u(x) = a u(x)[/tex]
help me ?

Last edited:
Then you need practise with solving differential equations. However, the equations are in general difficult. In this case, you'll need to have learned how to do series solutions of differential equations. The procedure for this equation is something like (I haven't done it by hand for years -- it's a standard enough that I can remember the form of the solution):

1. Assume that u=P(x) exp(-x^2), because the for the solution to be physical, it must equal zero at infinity (in general be L^2 integrable).
2. Get a differential equation for P, and solve by series method. This will show that the only solutions which are physical (by the same requirements again) are finite order polynomials -- which are called the Hermite polynomials. They are a well-known polynomial series.
3. Normalise, if necessary.

The steps are not difficult if you're already acquainted, but tedious.

Thanks sir.

Thanks sir ,I agree with you.This DE. can be solved by using power series solution method.

1. What is an eigenfunction?

An eigenfunction is a mathematical function that, when acted upon by a certain operator, returns a scaled version of itself. It is a special type of solution to an operator equation.

2. What is an operator?

An operator is a mathematical function that operates on other functions, transforming them in some way. Examples of operators include differentiation, integration, and multiplication by a constant.

3. How is an eigenfunction related to an operator?

An eigenfunction is a function that, when acted upon by an operator, returns a scaled version of itself. This scaling factor is called the eigenvalue, and it represents the "strength" of the function's response to the operator.

4. What is the significance of eigenfunctions in physics?

Eigenfunctions are used extensively in physics to describe the behavior of physical systems. In quantum mechanics, for example, the eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian operator represent the possible states of a particle, and the corresponding eigenvalues represent the energy of the particle in each state. In this way, eigenfunctions help us understand the behavior of complex physical systems.

5. How are eigenfunctions and eigenvectors related?

Eigenfunctions and eigenvectors are closely related, but they are not the same thing. An eigenvector is a vector that, when acted upon by a linear transformation, returns a scaled version of itself. An eigenfunction is simply a special type of solution to an operator equation. In some cases, an eigenfunction can be thought of as an eigenvector in an infinite-dimensional vector space, but this is not always the case.