:-$ Calculus Based Physics: Newton's Laws Problem

In summary, the robot experiences a force that causes its speed to decrease over the course of the interval.
johnsonandrew
Homework Statement
A robot working in a nuclear power plant moves along a straight track. If it experiences a force

F(t) = -Fi [ 1 + (4.0t - 2.0T)/T ]

where T is a constant with the units of time, what is the instantaneous speed of the robot at the very end of the interval 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] t [tex]\leq[/tex] T. It was at rest at t= 0

Relevant equations

ma = -Fi [ 1 + (4.0t - 2.0T)/T ]

[tex]\int[/tex] a(t) = v(t)

How do I integrate that?? it will be a = [ -Fi [ 1 + (4.0t - 2.0T)/T ] ] / m
but how do I integrate with so many variables... do I plug in t for T? No mass given...

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry? "so many variables"? There is only one variable: t. Integrate with respect to t.

Your integral should be [tex]v=\int a dt +C[/tex] for some constant. Now, you are correct in saying that a=[ -Fi [ 1 + (4.0t - 2.0T)/T ] ] / m. You are told in your question that T is a constant, so you should be able to integrate this expression, using the limits given.

Well I tried putting [tex]\int[/tex] [ -Fi [ 1 + (4.0t - 2.0T)/T ] ] / m , t into my TI-89 and it didn't integrate. It simply returned " -[tex]\int[/tex] [ Fi [ 1 + (4.0t - 2.0T)/Tm ] dt
I figured it couldn't be integrated since the calculator won't do it, and that I must have set it up wrong. I guess not. Is there any way I can get this to work on my calculator (on the TI-89)? I have not yet learned integration in my Calculus class, so for now those of us unable to do integration are expected to simply punch it in our calculators.

Last edited:
You should learn that there are some things that calculators cannot do; especially those things that one needs a brain for. I imagine there is a way to do it, but I don't own a graphic calculator so couldn't tell you. You would need to tell the calculator that T, Fi and m are constants, and that you are integrating wrt t.

However, if your teacher actually told you to use a calculator, and gave you this problem knowing full well you hadn't covered calculus, then I suggest you simply write the integral. Classes like this should not be telling students to use calculators instead of performing calculations by oneself.

No, you're right, and I understand that. I'd much rather know how to do the problem longhand. Unfortunately my high school is not big on physics, so the only AP course offered this year is calculus-based. The prerequisite for the class is only pre-calculus, not calculus, surprisingly. It only requires simultaneous enrollment in calculus. I wonder why that is, when they are giving us problems like this at the beginning of the year. We have only just finished covering derivatives, and that’s all. Oh well, thanks for your help, I'll let my teacher know and see what she says. :-s

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

The three laws of motion developed by Sir Isaac Newton are fundamental principles of classical mechanics. They describe the relationship between the forces acting on an object and its motion.

2. How do Newton's Laws relate to calculus-based physics?

Calculus-based physics uses mathematical equations and techniques, such as derivatives and integrals, to analyze and solve problems related to Newton's Laws of Motion. These laws provide the foundation for understanding the motion of objects in the physical world.

3. What is the difference between Newton's First and Second Laws?

Newton's First Law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's Second Law, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

4. How do you apply Newton's Laws to solve problems?

To solve problems using Newton's Laws, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the object and their direction. Then, apply Newton's Second Law to determine the net force and acceleration of the object. Finally, use calculus techniques to solve the resulting equations and find the desired information, such as velocity or displacement.

5. Can Newton's Laws be used in non-uniform motion?

Yes, Newton's Laws can be applied to non-uniform motion by breaking down the motion into smaller segments and applying the laws to each segment separately. This is known as using calculus to analyze non-uniform motion.