Projectile Motion (shooting an arrow)

In summary, there is an error in the calculation of theta and t is different depending on which equation is used.
KatieLynn

Homework Statement

An arrow is shot at 42 degrees from the horizontal to strike a target that is 53 meters away and at the same elevation as the archer. What is the initial velocity?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure which equation(s) is/are needed so I'll list all the ones I can...
(Vix)=(CosX)
x=(Vix)(t)
(Vxf)=(Vxi)
(-Vi)(SinX) = (Vi)(SinX) + (g)(t)
(-2Vfy)=(g)(t)
(Vfy)^2=(Viy)^2 + 2(g)(y)

g=-9.81 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to solve it. All the information you are given is theta = 42 and the X distance is 53 m, I don't see how you can use any of those equations to solve for anything with only those two pieces of information.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only equations you should need are the kinematic equations which are given here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=110015

The trick with these problems is to treat the two components of motion separately. You know the x component of velocity will be [itex] u_x=u\cos \theta[/itex] (I've used u for initial velocity because v is usually used for final velocity) and I think you've identified that the distance will be given by [itex] s=u_xt [/itex] (where I've used s in place of your x). All you need to do is find an expression for t which is where the vertical motion comes into it.

What can you write for the vertical motion?

Vxi=VicosX

X= Vix (t)

so when you plug in numbers and solve for t you get..t= (Vi*Cos42)/(53)then if you substitute that equation for t into

-2Vi(sinX)=gtyou get-2Vi(sin42)=(-9.81)(Vicos42/53)

which equals 9.7

I'm a little worried thought because the answer my teacher gave me was 8.85

is that close enough, maybe a little off because of rounding, or is it just wrong?

The equation below is right, so if you want to solve for t, it will be, t=X/Vix not Vix/X
X= Vix (t)

So, there is a mistake in this equation below..
-2Vi(sin42)=(-9.81)(Vicos42/53)

As pinkyjoshi points out you have calculated t incorrectly. Even more perplexing is the fact that I get a different answer to your teacher.

Thats not good...not good at all.

Ok so now you have [itex] t = \frac{s}{ucos \theta}[/itex] and you've subbed it into:

[tex] \frac{2usin \theta}{g} = t [/tex]

If you rearrange in terms of u and plug the numbers in you do get a different value from the one your teacher says is correct. I suspect they've made an error or given the answer to something else etc.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object thrown or launched into the air, under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, the force of gravity, and air resistance.

3. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the equation R = (V^2 * sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, V is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Does the mass of the object affect its projectile motion?

No, the mass of the object does not affect its projectile motion. As long as the initial velocity and launch angle are the same, objects of different masses will follow the same path.

5. What is the optimal angle for maximum range in projectile motion?

The optimal angle for maximum range in projectile motion is 45 degrees. This angle allows for the greatest horizontal distance traveled while still maintaining a significant vertical component.