Determining uncertanity from the wave equation

In summary, the uncertainty in position and momentum can be found from the wave function by using the definition of \Delta x and \Delta p, which are calculated using the square root of the expectation values of x^2 and p^2 respectively. This is based on the Fourier transform property between the wave function in position space and momentum space. It is important to understand basic quantum mechanics concepts before attempting to find the uncertainty in position and momentum.
mc_i2020
Hi!
How does one find out dx and dp from the wave equation?
Appreciate ur help:)

Physics news on Phys.org
the wavefunction in momentum space is the Fourier transform of the wavefunction in position space.
therefore if the wavefunction is spread out in momenta space it is more concentrated in position space and Vice versa
this is just the the property of a function and its Fourier transform.

yes I am aware of that but what i asked is how does one find the "uncertainity" in position and momentum FROM the wave eqn?

mc_i2020 said:
yes I am aware of that but what i asked is how does one find the "uncertainity" in position and momentum FROM the wave eqn?

I'm assuming you meant the wave function rather than the wave equation. Wave equation usually refers to the differential equation, while the wave function is a solution to the wave equation.

It is difficult to answer your question because you did not reveal what you already know. Have you taken basic QM before?

For example, to get the value for [itex]\Delta x[/itex] from the wavefunction, you have to know the definition of it, which is

[tex]\Delta x = \sqrt{<x^2> - <x>^2}[/tex]

where

[tex]<x^2> = <\psi|x^2|\psi>[/tex]

etc, and [itex]\psi[/itex] is the wave function.

So that's how you get [itex]\Delta x[/itex] knowing the wavefunction. Similarly for the momentum.

Zz.

1. What is the wave equation?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of waves. It relates the time and space variables of a wave and is used to determine various properties of a wave, such as its wavelength and frequency.

2. How is uncertainty determined from the wave equation?

The uncertainty in a wave can be determined by using the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This principle is applied to waves as well, and the uncertainty can be calculated using the wave equation.

3. What factors affect uncertainty in the wave equation?

There are several factors that can affect the uncertainty in a wave. These include the wavelength and frequency of the wave, as well as the measurement devices and techniques used to observe and measure the wave.

4. Can uncertainty in the wave equation be reduced?

The uncertainty in the wave equation is a fundamental principle and cannot be completely eliminated. However, it can be reduced by using more precise measurement techniques and devices, and by increasing the number of measurements taken.

5. Why is it important to determine uncertainty in the wave equation?

Determining uncertainty in the wave equation is important because it allows us to understand the limitations of our measurements and observations of waves. It also helps us to accurately predict and analyze the behavior of waves, which is essential in many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering.