Mao's Callous Offer: 10 Million Chinese Women to US in 1973

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary, in 1973, Chinese leader Mao offered the US up to 10 million Chinese women as a gesture of peace. This proposal was met with shock and disbelief, with some comparing it to a scene from the film "Dr. Strangelove." While some in Washington considered the offer, it was ultimately not pursued. One person jokingly expressed regret that Canada was not included in the offer. Others expressed concern about the potential objectification of women.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/14/chinese.women.ap/index.html

In 1973, Mao offered to "give" the US up to 10 million Chinese women. That's so callous, it's unbelievable!

Can you imagine what Kissinger must have thought?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
"It is such a novel proposition," Kissinger replied in his discussion with Mao in Beijing. "We will have to study it."
I'm sure that some in Washington did. :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the general in "Dr. Strangelove".

Rats! I just realized the single disadvantage of being a Canuck. I would have taken a couple if the offer had been made to Canada.

Danger said:
Rats! I just realized the single disadvantage of being a Canuck. I would have taken a couple if the offer had been made to Canada.

Danger, somehow I knew that would be your opinion... :wink: !

As long as they are not ugly. Welcome to America, honey!

What was "Mao's Callous Offer"?

"Mao's Callous Offer" was a proposal made by Chinese leader Mao Zedong in 1973 to send 10 million Chinese women to the United States as a gesture of goodwill and to ease overpopulation in China. It was a controversial and ultimately unsuccessful plan.

Why did Mao make this offer?

Mao believed that sending Chinese women to the US would help strengthen diplomatic relations between the two countries and ease economic strain in China caused by overpopulation. He also hoped it would promote the spread of communism to the US.

Did the US government consider Mao's offer?

No, the US government did not seriously consider Mao's offer. President Richard Nixon, who was in office at the time, saw it as a propaganda stunt and did not want to risk the backlash and complications that would come with accepting such a large influx of Chinese immigrants.

How did the Chinese public react to Mao's proposal?

The proposal was met with mixed reactions in China. Some saw it as a positive opportunity for women to have better opportunities in the US, while others saw it as a form of exploitation and a betrayal of Chinese culture and values.

Why was Mao's offer ultimately unsuccessful?

Aside from the lack of interest from the US government, there were also logistical challenges that made the proposal unfeasible. The US had strict immigration laws in place at the time and there were concerns about the social and economic impact of such a large influx of immigrants. Additionally, Mao's offer faced backlash and criticism both domestically and internationally, causing it to be abandoned.