Creating Orthohydrogen from Parahydrogen

• Thread starter Qaiphyx
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a product that claims to boost a vehicle's fuel economy by converting parahydrogen to orthohydrogen. However, the validity of this product is questioned as there is no evidence of a NASA engineer working on it and the cited patent is actually for a stock rack. The conversation also mentions that there are more practical ways to improve fuel economy such as driving habits and vehicle maintenance. It is also mentioned that there is no evidence of such a device being used on the Shuttle or any benefit in converting parahydrogen to orthohydrogen. The conversation ends with a humorous reference to the magnetizer interfering with the Shuttle's flux capacitor.
Qaiphyx
parahydrogen into the orthohydrogen??

Physics news on Phys.org
The Shuttle does not have a magnetizer that "converts parahydrogen to orthohydrogen".

I assume you are referring to a certain product that purports to boost a vehicle's fuel economy. I will not give the web sites that hawk this piece of junk the light of day. A couple of points:

1. These web sites refer to a certain engineer who supposedly worked at NASA in the 50s. Nope. NASA is meticulous about its early history, including its predecessor agency, NACA. Google that person's name, restricting the search to NASA pages. Zero hits.

2. These website cite a certain patent for the device. The US government did indeed issue a patent with that exact number -- on Oct. 20, 1885 to J.L. Wilbur. The patent is for a stock rack.

3. Here a few real ways to enhance your fuel economy: Easy on the gas pedal and on the break. Don't speed. Keep your tires inflated properly and keep your car well-maintained.

D H said:
The Shuttle does not have a magnetizer that "converts parahydrogen to orthohydrogen".

I assume you are referring to a certain product that purports to boost a vehicle's fuel economy. I will not give the web sites that hawk this piece of junk the light of day. A couple of points:

1. These web sites refer to a certain engineer who supposedly worked at NASA in the 50s. Nope. NASA is meticulous about its early history, including its predecessor agency, NACA. Google that person's name, restricting the search to NASA pages. Zero hits.

2. These website cite a certain patent for the device. The US government did indeed issue a patent with that exact number -- on Oct. 20, 1885 to J.L. Wilbur. The patent is for a stock rack.

3. Here a few real ways to enhance your fuel economy: Easy on the gas pedal and on the break. Don't speed. Keep your tires inflated properly and keep your car well-maintained.

Haha, no I was actually just wondering how they use a magnetic flux to flip the rotation of the H in parahydrogen.

I don't see any change that a magnetic flux would cause in fossil fuel to make it more combustable.

So what method do they use on the shuttles to convert para to ortho?? I read it was a magnetizer.

Last edited:

I found a website that cites patent number 3228868. This patent was issued January 11, 1966 to S.L. Ruskin and does mention "conversion of parahydrogen to orthohydrogen".

D H said:

I'd bet there is no such thing on the Shuttle. I worked on Centaur (LH2 upper stage) for 8 years, and they didn't have such a thing. As far as I'm aware, the energy value of parahydrogen is no different than ortho, so there's no benefit in converting it. The other possibility is that it converts almost instantly as the LH2 is heated in the HX as it goes through the engine bell.

Besides, everybody knows that using the magnetizer on the Shuttle during flight interferes with keeping the flux capacitor adjusted correctly so the craft doesn't go back in time.

1. What is the difference between orthohydrogen and parahydrogen?

Orthohydrogen and parahydrogen are two different forms of hydrogen atoms. The difference lies in the orientation of the hydrogen nuclei, which can either be parallel (orthohydrogen) or anti-parallel (parahydrogen). This difference in orientation leads to different physical and chemical properties.

2. Why is it important to create orthohydrogen from parahydrogen?

Orthohydrogen is a more reactive form of hydrogen compared to parahydrogen. It is used in various industrial processes such as catalytic hydrogenation and fuel cell reactions. By creating orthohydrogen from parahydrogen, we can increase its availability for these applications.

3. How is orthohydrogen created from parahydrogen?

The process of creating orthohydrogen from parahydrogen is known as ortho-para conversion. This can be achieved through several methods, including cryogenic distillation, chemical exchange reactions, and radiative catalysis. Each method involves manipulating the spin states of the hydrogen nuclei to convert parahydrogen into orthohydrogen.

4. What are the challenges in creating orthohydrogen from parahydrogen?

One of the main challenges in creating orthohydrogen from parahydrogen is the low conversion efficiency. The process requires precise control and manipulation of the hydrogen nuclei, which can be difficult to achieve. Additionally, the production of orthohydrogen from parahydrogen is an energy-intensive process, making it less economically viable.

5. How is the production of orthohydrogen from parahydrogen beneficial?

The production of orthohydrogen from parahydrogen has various benefits. It increases the availability of orthohydrogen for industrial applications, which can lead to improved efficiency and cost savings. Additionally, the process can also help in the purification of parahydrogen, which is used in the production of liquid hydrogen for rocket fuel. Overall, the production of orthohydrogen from parahydrogen has both economic and technological benefits.