Exploring the Connection Between General Relativity and Satellite Orbits

In summary, the closer one is to a body of energy, the slower their rate of time will go. This is relevant to orbits because general relativity is a theory of gravity. From a Newtonian perspective, the orbiting body maintains a constant rate of time and follows a circular path, but from a relativistic perspective, the curvature of spacetime causes the body to follow a curved path. The mechanism behind gravitational time dilation is still being studied in theories such as superstring theory and loop quantum gravity.
mogsy182
So is it the closer you are to the centre of a body the slower time will go? or is it the other way round. also why is this?

my lecturer confused me a bit when explain it, but what's general rel got to do with the orbit of a satellite?

Physics news on Phys.org
my lecturer confused me a bit when explain it, but what's general rel got to do with the orbit of a satellite?

This is a strange question. GR is a theory of gravity, so it is relevant to orbits.

The closer one is to a body of energy (and energy's other forms: heat conduction, pressure, and viscosity), the slower one's rate of time is. It is the gradient of this gravitational time dilation (how much the rate of time slows based on a change in distance) that causes acceleration to occur.

From a Newtonian point of view (in a weak gravitational field, and where relativistic precession is all but none), the orbiting body maintains a constant rate of time, and so follows a circular path of constant distance from the gravitating body. I believe that this is also referred to as a "straight path in spacetime" results in a "curved path in space".

As for the actual mechanism behind gravitational time dilation, that's to do with quantum gravity (superstring theory, loop quantum gravity). I cannot go into detail on either, for lack of knowledge.

Last edited:

What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It explains how massive objects cause a curvature in space-time, which in turn affects the motion of other objects.

How is general relativity different from Newton's theory of gravity?

Newton's theory of gravity describes gravity as a force between two objects, while general relativity views it as a consequence of the curvature of space-time. Additionally, general relativity accounts for the effects of gravity on the behavior of light, which Newton's theory does not.

What evidence supports general relativity?

General relativity has been supported by numerous experiments and observations, such as the bending of starlight near massive objects, the precession of Mercury's orbit, and the gravitational redshift of light. It has also been confirmed by the precise predictions it makes, such as the deflection of light by the sun during a solar eclipse.

Can general relativity explain the behavior of the universe on a large scale?

Yes, general relativity is the foundation of the current understanding of the universe on a large scale. It explains the expansion of the universe, the existence of black holes, and the formation of structures such as galaxies and galaxy clusters.

How is general relativity related to the theory of special relativity?

General relativity is an extension of the theory of special relativity, which describes the laws of physics in non-accelerating frames of reference. General relativity incorporates special relativity and adds the concept of gravity, which is not included in special relativity.