What do i need to know to move on to the Relativity ?

• Thread starter Mad1kas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary knowledge and skills for studying general and special relativity in mathematics and physics. It mentions that the special theory of relativity requires basic algebra, while the general theory requires more advanced concepts such as differential geometry and Tensor theory. Plane geometry, trigonometry, and group theory are also useful for understanding and solving problems in special relativity.
Mad1kas
Hello !

i would like to know what i should know to move on to the general and special relativity regarding to maths and physics..

Physics news on Phys.org
There is not a great deal of mathematics beyond pretty basic algebra in the special theory of relativity. The general theory, however, requires differential geometry and Tensor theory which, in turn require calculus and are pretty advanced college courses.

Besides requiring (vector) calculus and linear algebra, differential geometry is pretty self contained.

I think that plane geometry and trigonometry are also useful for special relativity... especially for providing some intuition and interpretation, as well as guidance in calculation. At some point, some group theory would be useful. Some techniques in differential geometry would be useful in some problems in special relativity.

Last edited:

What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It explains how the laws of physics operate in extreme conditions, such as at high speeds or in the presence of strong gravitational fields.

Why is the theory of relativity important?

The theory of relativity has been confirmed by numerous experiments and has revolutionized our understanding of the universe. It has also led to advancements in technology, such as GPS systems and nuclear energy.

What are the two types of relativity?

The two types of relativity are special relativity and general relativity. Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial frames of reference (objects moving at a constant speed). General relativity expands upon this to include non-inertial frames (objects accelerating or under the influence of gravity).

What are the key concepts of relativity?

The key concepts of relativity include the equivalence of mass and energy (E=mc²), the speed of light being constant in all frames of reference, and the curvature of spacetime caused by mass and energy.

What do I need to know to understand relativity?

To understand relativity, you should have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus and geometry. You should also have a basic understanding of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and gravity. Knowledge of special and general relativity can also be helpful.