Finding the Intersection of Sets X and Y with Algebraic Methods

• Thread starter yorick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, to find the intersection of sets X and Y, which are defined as X = {x: x=4n+1, n\inN} and Y = {y: y=m^{2}+m+1, m\inN}, we can set the equations equal to each other and solve for the common elements. However, this method may not yield all elements in the intersection, so a more thorough approach may be necessary, such as using a program to calculate all elements in both sets and comparing them. Alternatively, we can use algebra to find a general solution for the intersection, which would be {x: x=m^2 + m + 1 ; m/4\inN or (m
yorick

Homework Statement

X = {x: x=4n+1, n[tex]\in[/tex][tex]N[/tex]}
Y = {y: y=m[tex]^{2}[/tex]+m+1, m[tex]\in[/tex][tex]N[/tex]}

Find: Y[tex]\cap[/tex]X

The Attempt at a Solution

First I tried to set x=y
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] n[tex]^{2}[/tex]+n+1=4n+1
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] n[tex]^{2}[/tex]-3n=0
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] n(n-3)=0
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] n=0,3

Subbing this into either equation yields {1,13}.
I thought I was doing okay.
However I was comparing assignments with a classmate and she had this massive set that just keeps on going: {1, 13, 21, 57, 73, 133, 157, 241, 273, ...}
After I thought about it, this made sense, as my solution only found the elements that are in both sets when n is the same for both equations, but set equality relies only on its elements, not at what stage they were reached.
She'd done this the long way round, scripting a little program to calculate all elements for both sets then compare the elements and find the common ones.
What I'd like to know is, how can I go about solving this algebraically?

Thanks in advance,
Yorick.

Physics news on Phys.org
write the equation as it is.

m^2 + m + 1 = 4n + 1
--> m^2 + m = 4n
--> m(m+1) = 4n

now rhs is a multiple of 4... and therefore, so must the lhs. But if m is even, m + 1 is odd...
do you see where i am going with this? can you proceed?

Yes, Thankyou!

So basically the solution is something like {x: x=m^2 + m + 1 ; m/4[tex]\in[/tex][tex]N[/tex] or (m+1)/4[tex]\in[/tex][tex]N[/tex]}

yorick said:
Yes, Thankyou!

So basically the solution is something like {x: x=m^2 + m + 1 ; m/4[tex]\in[/tex][tex]N[/tex] or (m+1)/4[tex]\in[/tex][tex]N[/tex]}

yep... that's right!

1. What are unions of sets?

Unions of sets refer to the combination of all elements from two or more sets. In other words, it is the set that contains all the distinct elements from all the given sets.

2. How do you find the union of two sets?

To find the union of two sets, you simply need to combine all the elements from both sets, eliminating any duplicates. This can be done by listing out all the elements from both sets and removing any duplicates, or by using set operations such as the union symbol (∪).

3. Can the union of sets be represented visually?

Yes, the union of sets can be represented visually using Venn diagrams. The overlapping region of the circles in the diagram represents the union of the sets.

4. What is the difference between union and intersection of sets?

The union of sets includes all elements from both sets, while the intersection of sets includes only the elements that are common to both sets.

5. Are there any real-life applications of finding unions of sets?

Yes, finding unions of sets is commonly used in data analysis, market research, and statistics. It can also be applied in various fields such as genetics, economics, and computer science.