FEM/FEA Calculations for Torque Wrench 2NM-30NM

In summary: Thanks for the help!In summary, the person is trying to calculate the parameters for a torque wrench and is having trouble. They suggest using simple equations to calculate the parameters and then using ANSYS if they want to do a full-blown FEA.
herpamad
Hope this is the right place for this?

I have a torque wrench, and need to calculate several parameters.

I need to calculate

- Stress
- Displacement

and

- Force required to reflect the torque rang (2NM - 30NM)

I have ansys (fea) and mathcad (fem) at my disposal to do these calculations, i am just not 100% sure on where to start?

I have done a free-body diagram, and decided that there should be 3.D.O.F, but not sure if there should only be 2?

BUT

My main problem is, how do i model a torque wrench in Ansys? I have the geometry all sorted (i think) but i don't know how one should constrain, or even what set-up should be used? I was thinking of static structure?

Help and a push in the right direction would be most helpful, and i would be most greatful.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are different kinds of torque wrenches, so one answer doesn't fit all. Let's assume you're doing the inexpensive beam wrench you might buy at Sears for example.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...renches&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a
You can make a very quick, fairly accurate calculation using simple beam equations by hand. If you want to do a full-blown FEA on this, I'd suggest modelling it in something like Pro-E and running ANSYS. The simplifications you need to make are to fully constrain the drive end (probably 1/2") and apply a simple perpendicular force to the handle somewhere beyond the dial. The critical parameter in your design will be the deflection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that, will give it a go.

I am going to use ANSYS, and i think i can model the geometry in workbench so to eliminate pro/e as its a pain.

What is FEM/FEA?

FEM (Finite Element Method) and FEA (Finite Element Analysis) are computational techniques used to solve complex engineering problems by dividing a structure into smaller, simpler elements. This allows for accurate analysis of stresses, displacements, and other physical behaviors.

Why are FEM/FEA calculations necessary for torque wrench design?

Torque wrenches require precise engineering to ensure they can accurately apply the desired torque. FEM/FEA calculations allow for a detailed analysis of the wrench's components and their behavior under different loading conditions, ensuring the wrench can withstand the required torque without failure.

How do FEM/FEA calculations determine the torque range of a wrench?

FEM/FEA calculations consider factors such as material properties, geometry, and loading conditions to determine the stress and strain on the wrench. By analyzing these factors, the torque range of the wrench can be determined to ensure it can withstand the desired torque without deformation or failure.

What are the benefits of using FEM/FEA calculations for torque wrench design?

FEM/FEA calculations provide a more accurate and detailed analysis of the wrench's behavior under different loads compared to traditional analytical methods. This allows for a more precise design, reducing the risk of failure and ensuring the wrench can perform as intended.

Are there any limitations to using FEM/FEA calculations for torque wrench design?

While FEM/FEA calculations provide a powerful tool for engineering design, they are not without limitations. These calculations are only as accurate as the input data and assumptions made. Additionally, FEM/FEA calculations can be time-consuming and require specialized software and expertise.