Why Can't I Edit My Own Posts?

• Thread starter macaco
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of the edit button not appearing for one of the posts and the possibility of threads timing out after a few days. It is mentioned that the edit facility is turned off after 24 hours of posting and that it may be due to potential abuse of the edit feature. It is suggested to make a new post instead of editing after the time limit has passed.
macaco
I've been trying to edit one of my posts (to make the equations more eligible), but the 'edit' button doesn't appear?
Yet still does for my other threads?
Any idea why this would be?
Do threads time out after a few days?

And, yes, I am fairly bad with computers

=]

Physics news on Phys.org
macaco said:
I've been trying to edit one of my posts (to make the equations more eligible), but the 'edit' button doesn't appear?
Yet still does for my other threads?
Any idea why this would be?
Do threads time out after a few days?

And, yes, I am fairly bad with computers

=]

I think the edit facility is turned off 24 hours after posting.It's good to know there's someone else bad with computers.:smile:

Edit is sometimes abused (like when people remove things that were pointed to them as wrong, making everyone else in the thread look like an idiot). That's why they can be edited only for a limited period of time.

You only have 24 hours in which to edit. if you need to clarify a question just make another post. If you wish to edit a mistake in the original post and you can no longer edit yourself, then report the post and tell the mentors what edits you would like to make and we can do it for you.

thanks so much everyone
=]

What does it mean when I am unable to edit my own posts?

Being unable to edit your own posts means that you do not have the necessary permissions or access to make changes to your post. This could be due to the platform or website's settings, or it could be a restriction imposed by the site administrator.

Why am I unable to edit my own posts even though I am the author?

There could be a few reasons for this. One possibility is that the platform or website has a time limit for post editing, and the time for your post has already elapsed. Another reason could be that the post has been locked by a moderator or administrator.

Can I request for my post to be unlocked for editing?

It depends on the platform or website's policies. Some sites may allow you to request for your post to be unlocked for editing, while others may not have this option. It is best to check the site's guidelines or contact the administrator for more information.

How can I make edits to my post if I am unable to do so?

If you are unable to edit your post, you may be able to add a comment or edit your comment if there is an option to do so. Alternatively, you can contact the site administrator or moderator and request for them to make the necessary edits on your behalf.

Is it possible to prevent others from editing my posts?

Again, this depends on the platform or website's settings. Some sites may have an option for you to prevent others from editing your posts, while others may not. It is best to check the site's guidelines or contact the administrator for more information.