Finding Speed and Angle of Projectile Trajectory

In summary, the problem involves a diver jumping off a 3m board and reaching a height of 3.0m above the board before entering the water 3.0m away. The speed and angle at which she leaves the board are being asked. The necessary equations for solving this problem are: Vf^2=Vi^2 + 2ad, Y=Y0 + VyT - 0.5gt^2, x=V0Cos(theta)T, and Y=V0Sin(theta)T - 4.9t^2. The correct angle of 78.04 was found by first using Vf^2= Vi^2 + 2ad to find Vi, then plugging
darklich21

Homework Statement

A diver leaves a 3m board on a trajectory that takes her 3.0m above the board, and then into the water a horizontal distance of 3.0m from the end of the board. At what speed and angle did she leave the board?

Homework Equations

Vf^2=Vi^2 + 2ad
Y=Y0 +VyT - 0.5gt^2
x=V0Cos(theta)T
Y=V0Sin(theta)T - 4.9t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, so I was able to get the correct angle, but I got the speed wrong. I got the angle by first applying Vf^2= Vi^2 + 2ad, I found Vi=7.667 m/s, plugged it into Y=Y0 + VyT -4.9t^2, got a quadratic equation, got the positive time of t= 1.889seconds, plugged this time into x=V0Cos(theta)T, and i got the angle of 78.04, this was correct.

But how Do i find the speed from the take off? Can someone help, with an explanation and an equation please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Easy way: energy.

Take the board's height as 0. At her highest point, she has no kinetic energy and all potential. At her lowest (the board), she has all kinetic and no potential.

Note that we can do this because terms like potential energy as all relative. We simply take the potential energy with respect to our newly defined equilibrium.

If you need me to, I can give you the formulas explicitly.

Can you show me in terms of projectile motion equations and the kinematics equations?

1. What is projectile trajectory?

Projectile trajectory refers to the path that an object follows when it is thrown, launched, or otherwise propelled through the air. It is affected by factors such as initial velocity, angle of launch, and air resistance.

2. How is projectile trajectory calculated?

Projectile trajectory is calculated using mathematical equations, such as the 2-dimensional kinematic equations, which take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity. These calculations can be done manually or using specialized software.

3. What factors affect projectile trajectory?

The main factors that affect projectile trajectory are initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and acceleration due to gravity. Other factors that may also play a role include wind speed and direction, air density, and the shape and mass of the object.

4. What is the difference between a projectile and a non-projectile?

A projectile is an object that is launched or thrown and follows a curved path due to the influence of gravity. A non-projectile, on the other hand, is an object that does not experience the effects of gravity and follows a straight path.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile trajectory?

Air resistance can significantly affect projectile trajectory by slowing down the object as it moves through the air. This can cause the object to travel a shorter distance and have a lower maximum height. It can also alter the shape of the trajectory, making it less symmetrical.