Here Comes Science-Music for Kids

• Music
  • Thread starter Chi Meson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kids
In summary, the band They Might be Giants just released their 3rd CD/DVD collection written for kids. All together, these releases might just be be the most significant set of music/videos since "Schoolhouse Rock." The first song on the album, "Ape," is about evolution, and the rest of the songs talk about planets and other things.
Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Here Comes Science--Music for Kids

The band They Might be Giants just released their 3rd CD/DVD collection written for kids. This one is titled "http://tmbw.net/wiki/Here_Comes_Science" ." All together, these releases might just be be the most significant set of music/videos since "Schoolhouse Rock."

Full disclosure, I was a college DJ in the late 80s, I've favored "off-center" music, and we started having our kids at the same time TMBG started writing full-length kid-specific albums. I've seen them live 5 times in the last 2 years. Apparently I am genetically engineered to be a fan. I knew well ahead of time I would get this CD/DVD (because I pre-ordered it).

So I'm asking: As science minded people, and keeping in mind that this is kid's music, ages 4--12, distributed by Disney;
What do you think?

Here's what I think:
As we have watched it/listened (with my kids, mostly) I'm picking up some brave moves that few people ever make. The album unabashedly promotes Evolution. Check the first refrain from the lead-off "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty33v7UYYbw&feature=channel"." (those are the lyrics, the video is not posted yet).
In an interview on NPR's "http://www.sciencefriday.com/program/archives/200909256" ," just yesterday, John Linnell introduced "Ape" as being about "evolution, that controversial fact."

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0zION8xjbM&feature=fvw"" speaks for itself.

Another significant song, "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RJ0-GxeIYs&feature=channel"," is the first one about planets that includes Ceres, Eris, "and a bunch of other stuff." Pluto is included as part of that "bunch of other stuff," but it is left open as to whether or not to call it a planet. Their main point being that it's just not important what you call a planet or not; there's is just a heck of a lot more planetary bodies out there and there is nothing sacred about the number 9. Only fault: they missed their chance to say "Quaoar." More people need to know there is a planetoid named Quaoar. And Makemake.

BTW, all links are from the band's (or the animator's) own YouTube Channel.

I have no objectivity here. Nearly all outside reviews are superlative, but I'm intrigued to know what other science-types think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org

I really used to like TMBG but wore a bit thin. I am sure I will let my kid listen to them. Heck, I can say for sure that I learned one little bit of geography/world history from them..."it's Istanbul not Constantinople." I'm never forgetting that, no matter how hard I try. So if I can learn something from them, why not my kids?

I liked the three songs you posted. I tried to get my 3 year old to listen, but he only lasted about 5 seconds before he saw something shiny. It seems to me that they have made a bit of a change in their music so it's not so...so...I don't know...ADD-ish. I think that is a good thing, especially with kids music.

FredGarvin said:
I really used to like TMBG but wore a bit thin.
Their most popular songs are not their best. And some of the songs that followed behind their biggest hits were easily their worst ever. They deliberately stretch their music into as many genres as possible, so it's guaranteed that most people will not like several songs on any single album. I never bother to argue with folks who "are not impressed" or "don't care for" this band since that has nothing to do with me.

Yet all of a sudden, it's very important to me to know what the "scientific community" (stupid phrase, I know) thinks of this.

I'm not really in the 'scientific community', but I like it.
'Science is Truth' is a pretty big epistemological call, especially for kids, however.
Not to put too fine a point on it, should we rather be making little birdhouses in something more physically verifiable?

1. What is "Here Comes Science-Music for Kids"?

"Here Comes Science-Music for Kids" is a children's music album created by the band They Might Be Giants. It was released in 2009 and is a collection of songs that teach scientific concepts in a fun and engaging way.

2. What age group is this album targeted towards?

This album is targeted towards children aged 3-10 years old. However, people of all ages can enjoy the catchy tunes and educational lyrics!

3. Are the scientific concepts in the songs accurate?

Yes, the scientific concepts in the songs are accurate and have been reviewed by a team of educators and scientists. The band also consulted with experts to ensure the information presented is correct and up-to-date.

4. Can this album be used as a teaching tool in schools?

Yes, many teachers have used this album in their classrooms to make learning about science more fun and interactive. The songs cover a variety of topics, making it a versatile teaching tool for different grade levels.

5. Are there any resources available to accompany this album?

Yes, there is a supplemental DVD available that includes music videos for each song, as well as additional educational content such as experiments and interviews with scientists. There is also a book that contains lyrics and illustrations for each song.