Finite element method (proof question)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the finite element method and the need to prove an inequality regarding the error estimate for the model problem. The conversation explores the use of the mean value theorem and the interpolant function, \tilde{u_h}, in solving the problem. The significance of the values of y between 0 and 1 is also discussed. The plan for solving the problem involves sketching a graph of u(x) and \tilde{u} and using the known points to approximate u''(x).
sara_87

Homework Statement

this is part of a theorem for the error estimate for the model problem for finite element method.
i have to prove the following inequality:
[tex]\left|u'(x)-\tilde{u}'_h(x)\right|\leq max_{0\leq(y)\leq1}\left|u''(y)\right|[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\tilde{u_h}[/tex] is the interpolant of u, where u is the solution of D (BVP that depends on x).
h is the mesh size.
(it will help a lot if you know about finite element method to understand this question)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start but we were told that the mean value theorem is helpful:

u'([tex]\varphi[/tex])=[tex]\frac{u(x_{i+1})-u(x_i)}{x_{i+1}-x_{i}}[/tex]
where x_i to x_(i+1) is one element.
but i don't know how this would help.
I think maybe i don't understand the inequality properly

Physics news on Phys.org
sara_87 said:

Homework Statement

this is part of a theorem for the error estimate for the model problem for finite element method.
i have to prove the following inequality:
[tex]\left|u'(x)-\tilde{u}'_h(x)\right|\leq max_{0\leq(y)\leq1}\left|u''(y)\right|[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\tilde{u_h}[/tex] is the interpolant of u, where u is the solution of D (BVP that depends on x).
h is the mesh size.
(it will help a lot if you know about finite element method to understand this question)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start but we were told that the mean value theorem is helpful:

u'([tex]\varphi[/tex])=[tex]\frac{u(x_{i+1})-u(x_i)}{x_{i+1}-x_{i}}[/tex]
where x_i to x_(i+1) is one element.
but i don't know how this would help.
I think maybe i don't understand the inequality properly
I took one class in Finite Element Analysis, many years ago (maybe before you were born!), so am not an expert.

Your hint will be useful here, I believe.
[tex]u' (\varphi)~=~\frac{u(x_{i+1})-u(x_i)}{x_{i+1}-x_{i}}[/tex]

This is equivalent to
[tex]u(x_{i+1})-u(x_i)~=~u'(\varphi)(x_{i+1}-x_{i})[/tex]

What you want is [tex]u'(x_{i+1})-u'(x_i)[/tex]
You can figure out something to replace that difference, can't you?

Last edited:
thanks,
do i replace it with:
[tex]u''(\varphi)(x_{i+1}-x_{i})[/tex]
but don't we need to do something about the [tex]\tilde{u_{h}}'[/tex]

Can you tell me a bit more about [tex]\tilde{u_{h}}'[/tex]
?
In your first post you described [tex]\tilde{u_{h}}[/tex], not [tex]\tilde{u_{h}}'[/tex].

Also, the phi that appears in the MVT is some number between xi and xi + 1, so you'll need to take that into account in the expression for u''.

[tex]\tilde{u}'_h[/tex] is the derivative with respect to x of [tex]\tilde{u}_h[/tex]

how shall i take into account the phi
(sorry if I am asking stupid questions, i just find this quite hard)

No problem about asking questions - I don't find them stupid at all. As far as how to take into account the phi, right now, I don't know.

Maybe you can help me remember what it is you're working with in FEA. You have some function u(x) and a mesh at which you know the function values u(xi). There isn't a way to calculate values of u(x) for values of x not in the mesh. If there were, you wouldn't need the machinery of FEA. Do you also know the derivative values at those points, u'(xi)? I suspect that you don't. The formula for u(x) is unknown, so at points not in the mesh, you use some interpolating polynomial to get these points. Since you have a formula for the interpolating polynomial (I'm assuming it's a polynomial, but maybe it doesn't have to be one), you can get a formula for [tex]\tilde{u}'(x)[/tex]. (I have omitted the h subscript for convenience.)

Is all of this correct?

The inequality you want to prove says that the distance between u'(x) and the derivative of the interpolating polynomial is bounded by the max. value of the |u''(y)|.

You haven't said anything about y or why the max is over values of y between 0 and 1. How does y figure into things?

yes what you said is right.
y is just the value at the y-axis
the basis function for the construction of Vh (where Vh is the vector space)
is:
[tex]y=\phi_j(x_i)=1,[/tex] if i=j
and 0 otherwise

that's why y is between 0 and 1.

So wouldn't y be either 0 or 1, not values between the two?

Any way, I'll look tonight to see if I can find the text I used, and see if that gives me any insights.

it's like, a line on the x-axis then makes a mountain (triangle) shape where the peak (x_i) is at one, then goes back down to zero (at x_(i+1)). so between x_i and x_(i+1), there could be values of y between 0 and 1.

thank you.

I'm still looking into this...

Another question that comes to mind is the significance of u''(y) on the right side of the inequality you need to prove. From what you've said, y is a value between 0 and 1. I don't understand why we would want to evaluate u'' on this interval.

The values for y are still not clear to me, either. In post 7 you said
sara_87 said:
[tex]y=\phi_j(x_i)=1,[/tex]
and 0 otherwise
and in post 9 you said
sara_87 said:
there could be values of y between 0 and 1.
The first quote implies that y will be either 0 or 1, but nothing in between. The second quote contradicts this.

I looked for the text I used in the class I took, but didn't find anything. If there was a text, I guess I got rid of it long ago, but in fact, the class might have been a seminar and there wasn't a text. None of my other texts go into any detail about FEA, so I don't have any book resources.

The direction I plan to go is to sketch a graph of u(x) on the interval [xi -1, xi + 1]. That graph will be a slightly squiggly curve. I will also sketch a graph of the interpolating function [tex]\tilde{u}[/tex], connecting the three known points (xi-1, u(xi-1), (xi, u(xi), and (xi+1, u(xi+1) with straight lines.

I'll then look at u'(x) and [tex]\tilde{u}'[/tex] at those points, and see how I can use them to approximate u''(x).

So that's my plan. I will also notify the other homework helpers and mentors to see if they have any ideas.

1. What is the Finite Element Method (FEM)?

The Finite Element Method is a numerical technique used to solve partial differential equations by dividing a complex problem into smaller, simpler parts known as finite elements. It is used to approximate the solution to a problem by using a continuous function defined over each element.

2. What is the purpose of using FEM?

The Finite Element Method is used to solve problems in engineering and science where the exact solution is either unknown or too complicated to calculate. It allows for the analysis of complex structures and systems, making it a valuable tool for design and optimization.

3. How does FEM work?

FEM works by dividing a complex problem into smaller, simpler parts known as finite elements. These elements are then connected at specific points called nodes, creating a mesh. The behavior of each element is represented by a set of equations, and the solution to the problem is obtained by solving these equations for each element.

4. What are the advantages of using FEM?

FEM offers several advantages over traditional analytical methods, including the ability to handle complex geometries and boundary conditions, as well as the ability to incorporate material properties and non-linearities. It also allows for the analysis of large, multi-dimensional problems, making it a versatile tool for various applications.

5. What are the limitations of FEM?

While FEM offers many advantages, it also has some limitations. One of the main limitations is the need for a finite element mesh, which can be time-consuming and resource-intensive to create. FEM also relies on assumptions and simplifications, which can lead to errors in the solution. Additionally, it may not be suitable for problems with discontinuities or singularities.