Can You Build a Mouse Trap Vehicle with Only 2 Mousetraps and a MA-15 Tail Gun?

In summary, you would need two mousetraps to build a vehicle that could reach 5 meters and return to its original destination. You would need to have the first mouse trap set off the second mouse trap when it gets to the bottom.
freqs
I am very interested in engineering, so I decided to build a mousetrap vehicle. I want my vehicle to reach 5 meters and return back to its original destination by itself. I need help constructing this system to accomplish this goal. Is there any way to build it with 2 mousetrap at most?

Engineering news on Phys.org
freqs said:
I am very interested in engineering, so I decided to build a mousetrap vehicle. I want my vehicle to reach 5 meters and return back to its original destination by itself. I need help constructing this system to accomplish this goal. Is there any way to build it with 2 mousetrap at most?

Sounds like a school project. What are your ideas so far about how to do it?

I remember doing this many years ago in middle school, but we didnt have to make the vehicle return to its original position. That's a neat extra challenge.

I suppose you would have to have the first mouse trap set off the second mouse trap when it gets to the bottom. I think the second mouse trap would have to be larger to make up for the energy that will be dissipated during the original journey, and unless the second mousetrap starts once the vehicle is stopped on its own you will have to account for the energy necessary to slow the vehicle down and change its direction.

I remember when I did this my vehicle always turned to the left. If yours does that I imagine it will be difficult to make it return to its original location if it can't move in straight lines. So make sure everything is lined up well.

Why don't you just have a regular mousetrap car. However, as it move forward, have it wind up a rubber band or something attached to the axle.

It may cycle a few times, but neglecting friction it should come back to rest where it started.

I have the perfect mousetrap car. It's an R/C dune buggy with a mousetrap on the front that I use to chase the little bastards around the house.

Danger said:
I have the perfect mousetrap car. It's an R/C dune buggy with a mousetrap on the front that I use to chase the little bastards around the house.

Predator! Do you have a helmet cam on the RC vehicle? This is starting to sound like fun!

berkeman said:
Do you have a helmet cam on the RC vehicle?
Alas, no. I'm on Social Assistance (Welfare in Yank-speak). My budget doesn't allow for such things. I could barely afford the MA-15 tail gun. :biggrin:

1. How do I choose the right materials for my mouse trap vehicle?

When building a mouse trap vehicle, it is important to choose lightweight and sturdy materials. Some common options include balsa wood, cardboard, and plastic. Consider the weight and strength of each material to ensure your vehicle can move efficiently.

2. How do I calculate the correct size of the wheels for my mouse trap vehicle?

The size of the wheels on your mouse trap vehicle will depend on the circumference of the wheels and the distance you want your vehicle to travel. The formula for circumference is C = πd, where C is the circumference and d is the diameter of the wheel. Use this formula to determine the appropriate size for your wheels.

3. What is the best way to attach the mouse trap to the vehicle?

The best way to attach the mouse trap to the vehicle is to use a sturdy glue or tape. Make sure the trap is securely attached to the vehicle and that the trigger mechanism is not blocked by any other components.

4. How can I improve the speed and distance of my mouse trap vehicle?

To improve the speed and distance of your mouse trap vehicle, make sure all components are lightweight and the wheels are properly aligned. You can also experiment with different types of wheels and adjust the tension on the mouse trap for optimal performance.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building a mouse trap vehicle?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when building a mouse trap vehicle. Use caution when handling sharp tools and hot glue. Make sure the mouse trap is not set while you are working on the vehicle and keep fingers away from the trigger mechanism when testing the vehicle.