Why Does Gnuplot Freeze When Plotting on Ubuntu 9.10?

In summary, the speaker has encountered a problem with gnuplot on their Ubuntu 9.10 system. When trying to make a plot, the plot window freezes and they have to force quit. They have found a solution by disabling Assistive Technologies, which was causing the issue. This solution was found by referencing a bug report on Launchpad.
andresordonez
Hi, I have a major problem with gnuplot, this is what happens:

gnuplot> plot "results.data" using 1:2 with lines

works fine, but when I want to make another plot like:

gnuplot> plot "results.data" using 1:3 with lines

the plot window freezes and when I try to close it says something like "the window id:0 is not responding" and I have to force quit.

My OS is ubuntu 9.10 (karmic koala)

I booted ubuntu 9.10 from a USB, installed gnuplot and had no problems, so I guess the problem has something to do with my configuration. Any ideas?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for reaching out about this issue with gnuplot on Ubuntu 9.10. It seems like there may be a compatibility issue between the gnuplot software and your specific configuration on Ubuntu 9.10. One potential solution could be to try updating your gnuplot software to the latest version, as newer versions may have addressed this issue. Another option could be to try using a different plotting software, as there are many options available for scientific data visualization. If the issue persists, it may be helpful to reach out to the developers of gnuplot or the Ubuntu community for further assistance in troubleshooting this issue.

1. What is Gnuplot?

Gnuplot is a command-line driven software used for creating scientific plots and graphs. It can be used to visualize data in various formats, including 2D and 3D plots, histograms, and scatterplots.

2. How can I install Gnuplot on Ubuntu 9.10?

To install Gnuplot on Ubuntu 9.10, you can use the command "sudo apt-get install gnuplot" in the terminal. This will download and install the software on your system.

3. What is the issue with Gnuplot on Ubuntu 9.10?

There is a known issue with Gnuplot on Ubuntu 9.10 where the plots may not display correctly due to compatibility issues with the default graphics drivers.

4. How can I fix the Gnuplot issue on Ubuntu 9.10?

One solution to fix the issue is to update your graphics drivers. You can do this by going to the "Additional Drivers" tab in the "Software & Updates" settings and selecting the recommended graphics driver. Alternatively, you can also try using a different graphics library, such as OpenGL, by setting the "set term" command in Gnuplot.

5. Are there any alternative solutions to using Gnuplot on Ubuntu 9.10?

Yes, there are a few alternative plotting software options for Ubuntu 9.10, such as matplotlib, Octave, and R. These software offer similar features to Gnuplot and may not have the same compatibility issues on this particular operating system.