Research opportunities for non-students

• Thread starter krilvyn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the individual is looking for research opportunities, such as summer programs, that will accept someone who is not currently a student but is planning on going back for grad school. They have a double major in Physics and Computer Science and have been working as a software engineer since 2002. They are concerned about their lack of recent research experience and the need for recommendations from academic sources. They are open to taking a summer off to participate in a program and have a flexible schedule. They are also willing to take non-degree advanced courses to obtain recommendations and have asked for suggestions or ideas from others.
krilvyn
Does anyone know of research opportunities, such as summer programs, that will take on someone who is not currently a student but is planning on going back for grad school?

I finished undergrad back in 2002 (double major in Physics and Computer Science at a good school), have been working as a software engineer since then, and am now planning to apply for Ph.D programs (either in astronomy, physics, or computational science/engineering) that start in fall 2011. Because I've been out of school for several years, I'm worried about my lack of recent research experience and not being able to get current letters of recommendation from professors. As of now, my recommendations would have to come from my employers, and it sounds like that won't be sufficient to get me into good schools even if I do well on the GREs. They seem to really want recommendations from academic sources regarding recent research experience. And in addition to the networking possibilities, it would be a lot of fun for me to get into research since this is what I want to do for my future career. I really don't want to wait another 1.5 years to start school/research, but don't have much choice because of how the dates line up.

My schedule is very flexible right now since I work as a contractor, so I could even take the summer off and travel somewhere if I could find someone that would take me on. I think my skills and interests would allow me to get up to speed quickly and contribute in a lab. The ideal situation would be something like an REU program or internship, but everything that I've found online seems to only accept applications from current students. If anyone knows of programs that I might be eligible for, or has other ideas I should try, I'd appreciate if you'd let me know!

Physics news on Phys.org
krilvyn said:
If anyone knows of programs that I might be eligible for, or has other ideas I should try, I'd appreciate if you'd let me know!
Local neighborhood public university system? Pick up a summer course and show some interest and competence and a professor may let you into his/her lab for a summer. It almost doesn't matter if your course is in anything, that's just a way to get you into the building. And you can totally take non-degree advanced courses in your areas of interest so that you have recs. (Your first degree already gives the prestige.) Email professors whose work looks interesting, and ask the guys at work if any of them have good relationships with faculty somewhere. Maybe a college roommate or spouse went on to do a phD, just ask. I've also seen some fellowships/internships targeted at people going back to school after work. Throw that into google and see what you find.

1. What types of research opportunities are available for non-students?

There are a variety of research opportunities available for non-students, including internships, fellowships, volunteer positions, and part-time or full-time employment. These opportunities may be in academic institutions, government agencies, or private companies.

2. How can I find research opportunities as a non-student?

One way to find research opportunities as a non-student is to network with professionals in your field of interest and inquire about potential opportunities. You can also search online for job postings or contact organizations directly to inquire about any available research positions.

3. Do I need a specific degree to participate in research as a non-student?

While having a relevant degree may be helpful, it is not always necessary for non-students to participate in research. Many research opportunities value skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail, which can be developed through various experiences and backgrounds.

4. Are research opportunities for non-students paid?

Research opportunities for non-students can vary in terms of compensation. Some may be paid positions, while others may offer stipends, scholarships, or other forms of compensation. It is important to inquire about compensation when considering a research opportunity.

5. Can non-students publish their research findings?

Yes, non-students can publish their research findings. However, it may depend on the specific research opportunity and the policies of the organization or institution. It is best to discuss publication options with the research team before beginning a project.