A radio beacon @ the speed of light.

In summary, a craft could be sent using various stellar bodies to sling shot it and create a way for it to continually accelerate to near the speed of light. This would allow for pictures and other information to be sent back to Earth in fifty years. However, the speed of light is constant for all observers, so even if the craft could send a signal back to Earth it would take a very long time.
deckart
I just read of an idea to send a craft outside our solar system using the various stellar bodies to sling shot it and also create a way for it to continually accelerate. In which case it would eventually near the speed of light. So in fifty years it could send us pictures and what not of faraway places. Which, of course, one would think it would take fifty to get back.

But then it occurred to me that if it is traveling close to the speed of light and it sends signals toward the direction from which it is traveling, near (or at) the speed of light, the signal would actually be traveling, relative to us, VERY slow. Is this accurate? Or am I missing something? If I'm traveling in the back of a pick-up truck at 55mph and I throw a ball behind the truck at 40mph, is not the ball traveling in the direction of the truck 15mph?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome aboard.

Yes, you are missing something: the speed of light is constant to all observers regardless of inertial frame of reference. Speeds do not add and subtract in the same way as your truck-ball example. That only works at very low speed.

So it doesn't matter what speed the probe is going: when it passes alpha centuari, for example (4.36 light years distant), the signal it sends will take exactly 4.36 years to get back to earth.

Wow, ok, that's a mind boggler.

yeah especially since from the frame of the craft the signal would have gotten to Earth sooner.

The other question is.

If you sent a signal to the spacecraft that is traveling at the speed of light away from the Earth will it ever get there?

4Newton said:
The other question is.

If you sent a signal to the spacecraft that is traveling at the speed of light away from the Earth will it ever get there?

Nothing can travel the speed of light. Period.

Even if it could, it's time would be mixed up, and everything will just crash. What they see will be both the end and the start of the universe, and everything else.

From the reference frame of the Earth, however, we will observe that the light beam never reaches the spacecraft .
I wish that helps.

4Newton said:
The other question is.

To make it physically possible, I'll change it a little: if you sent a signal to a spacecraft traveling just under the speed of light, it would take a long time (from Earth's point of view) for the signal to get there.

deckart said:
Wow, ok, that's a mind boggler.

Yup, it is boggling for everyone who first learns about it. And that's why Einstein is nearly worshiped (although he is sometimes overrated, others were quite close to solving the riddle at the time.). It's what relativity is all about.

kuenmao said:
Nothing can travel the speed of light. Period.

Is that so? :rolleyes:
Think about what you just wrote.

-Ray.

What is a radio beacon?

A radio beacon is a device that emits radio signals to help guide or locate objects, typically in navigation or communication systems.

How does a radio beacon work?

A radio beacon functions by sending out radio signals at a specific frequency. These signals can be picked up by receivers and used to determine the location and direction of the beacon.

What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in physics, with a value of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. It is the fastest speed at which any object can travel in the universe.

Can a radio beacon travel at the speed of light?

No, a radio beacon cannot travel at the speed of light. The radio signals emitted by a beacon travel at the speed of light, but the beacon itself is stationary.

What are the applications of a radio beacon at the speed of light?

A radio beacon at the speed of light can be used for various purposes, such as navigation systems, communication systems, and scientific research. It can also be used in space exploration for tracking and locating spacecraft.