Enhance Your arXiv Experience with an E-Ink E-Reader

• Thread starter VOLKOV9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arxiv
In summary, the conversation is about using arXiv on a web-capable e-ink e-reader and the challenges of reading academic papers on such a device. The person is looking for a device that can easily navigate through long pdf documents and access websites like arXiv. They also mention the desire for a device that can create LaTeX documents.
VOLKOV9
Has anybody tried using arXiv on a web-capable e-ink e-reader?

Like many others here, I'm on the brink of getting an e-reader. Most of the discussions I've seen about e-reading tough pdf's involve editing them with lots of third-party software to make them readable. My question is, can any device bypass that garbage? What I want to be able to do (with my e-reader alone, no PC involved) is wake up the e-reader, go to the arXiv, search for a specific paper (e.g. 1001.0001), download it, and read it on e-ink. Is this too much to ask?

It seems, for instance, that the latest Kindle has "experimental browsing" but I've read that it struggles with academic papers. Can somebody maybe with a new dx review how an attempt at the above goes?

Thanks so much

Computer science news on Phys.org
I have also been looking for something which performs similar tasks.
It would be great to have some kind of reader which can easily traverse through 1,000 page pdf academic documents, as well as access sites such as arXiv.

Having the ability to create LaTeX documents would be a huge plus as well.

1. What is an E-reader for the arXiv?

An E-reader for the arXiv is a digital device or application that allows users to access and read scientific papers and articles from the arXiv database. It provides a convenient and portable way to access research papers and stay updated on the latest scientific advancements.

2. How does an E-reader for the arXiv work?

An E-reader for the arXiv typically works by connecting to the internet and accessing the arXiv database. Users can then search for specific papers or browse through different categories and topics. The E-reader also allows for easy navigation, bookmarking, and note-taking within the papers.

3. Can I access all papers on the arXiv with an E-reader?

Yes, an E-reader for the arXiv allows you to access and read all papers available on the arXiv database. However, some papers may have restricted access due to copyright or other limitations.

4. Are there different E-reader options for the arXiv?

Yes, there are various E-reader options available for the arXiv, including dedicated devices, mobile apps, and web-based readers. Each option may have different features and functionalities, so it's best to research and choose one that suits your needs.

5. Is an E-reader for the arXiv free to use?

Yes, most E-readers for the arXiv are free to use. However, some may require a subscription or one-time purchase fee for additional features or an ad-free experience. It's best to check the specific E-reader's terms and conditions before use.