Empirical formula for these ionic materials

I gives 3 electronsIn summary, the empirical formula for Al and N would be AlN, with Al giving 3 electrons and N receiving 3 electrons to make the compound neutral. For Sr and I, the empirical formula would be SrI2, with Sr giving 2 electrons and I receiving 3 electrons to achieve a neutral compound. These formulas are predicted based on basic quantum chemistry and are referred to as empirical formulas in the book.
omni
I have to write an empirical formula for these ionic materials:
Al N
Sr I

so i know that Al gives 3 electrons and N will get 3 electrons.
to make them to be neutral so the empirical formula of Al and N need to look like this AlN?

and for Sr and I i know Sr gives electrons and I get 1 so how the empirical formula of them need to be if i want to make them neutral Sr1I2 ?

thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Looks OK, although no idea why you call these empirical formulas. I would call them theoretical ones - you have predicted them using some basic quantum chemistry, not calculated based on experimental results.

well this how they call them in the book.
and i mean Sr gives 2 electrons

What is an empirical formula?

An empirical formula is the simplest whole number ratio of elements in a compound.

How is the empirical formula determined for ionic materials?

The empirical formula for ionic materials is determined by finding the ratio of cations to anions in the compound. This is done by dividing the mass of each element by its molar mass and then simplifying the resulting ratio to the smallest whole number ratio.

Can the empirical formula be the same as the molecular formula?

Yes, the empirical formula can be the same as the molecular formula for ionic materials. This happens when the compound is made up of only one type of cation and one type of anion.

How does the empirical formula differ from the structural formula?

The empirical formula only shows the ratio of elements in a compound, while the structural formula shows how the atoms are connected and arranged in the molecule. The structural formula also includes information about the types of bonds between atoms.

Is the empirical formula the same for all ionic materials with the same composition?

No, the empirical formula can vary for different ionic materials with the same composition. This is because the arrangement and coordination of the ions in the compound can differ, resulting in different ratios of cations to anions.