Play the Forum Game: Mafia - Kill or Be Killed!

In summary: I'm guessing some people might be intimidated by it because it looks complicated. But I promise, it's not! It's actually really simple once you get the hang of it. And I think it would make for a really fun game to play. I would definitely like to try it out!2. Zaphod3. Macocio4. Framm185. Zaphod6. Macocio7. Framm188. Zaphod9. Macocio10. Framm18
Hirkala
If anyone has ever played the party game, Mafia, you will love this game! This is a kill or be killed, battle of wits, deception and manipulation between an informed minority and an uninformed majority.

At the beginning of the game, everyone will be given a role. Some will have actions that they can perform each night and others will not. The game will go through cycles of night and day. Each cycle will be 24 hours real time. It begins on Night 1 (24 hours.) All actions must be submitted within this 24 hours. When the 24 hours are up, I will make a post, in story form, detailing the events of the night. Then, Day 1 begins (another 24 hours.) This will be the time when discussion happens. Each day, players are given an opportunity to "lynch" a player. This is the goodies time to catch the bad guys! A roster will be used to facilitate the voting process. Example:

1. Player - Voting for Mafiafan
2. Mafiafan - Voting for Player
3. Thatguy
4. Hyper-player - Voting for Mafiafan
5. Quiet-one

This is the way the voting will go. At the end of the 24 hour Day cycle, the player with the most votes will be "killed," eliminating them from the game. In the above example, if the day were over, Mafiafan would be lynched. Each night, the Mafia or Baddies are allowed to kill one player.

Here is the list of roles that will be used in this game.

Baddies - Be in the majority/Night Kill/BTSC

Godfather - Immune to detective; Shows up as vanilla townie

Thug - Can block one player each night

Vanilla Baddie - Has no action at night, only BTSC with Mafia

Goodies - Kill all Baddies

Detective - Can spy one player each night

Doctor - Can attempt to save one player from death each night

5 Vanilla Townies - Have no action at night, their vote and voice is their power

BTSC means Behind The Scenes Contact. BTSC IS ONLY ALLOWED BY THE BADDIES! I will set up a separate place for the 3 Baddies to talk to each other. I know I haven't covered everything I need to, but that is the basic idea. If there are any questions feel free to ask and I will reply as soon as possible.

So, is anyone interested in this? If so, please place your name on the roster below! Hope some people sign up!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is no one interested at all? I am sure there are some people out there who would really like this game? Any questions about it? ...Anything?

seems really complicated... for my simple brain anyway...
mmm... don't worry I'm sure some people will want to play it! :)

It's really not THAT complicated! Once you start playing one it comes pretty easy. The basic premise is that you have to find your enemy before they find and kill you. I think the hardest part when I first started was actually working up the nerve to talk. I was unsure of what to say at first, but after a few posts, it came pretty naturally...

And I had the same worry as you... That it was too complicated for me to handle. But once I started my first game, EVERYTHING cleared up! :D

I want to try! :D i'll just learn as i go :P

1. Macocio

Backups:

1. Framm18

I have played before so I will be a backup for now.

Just copy the roster when you sign up, as it makes it a little bit easier for the host and other players to see who has signed up.

I will echo Hirkala and say that this is a really fun game, and fairly easy to learn.

Thanks, Macocio! And Framm! Glad to see that there are SOME people out there who are interested in this! Hope to see more join up! :D

Hmm. This sounds interesting. How long do these games typically last?

Could be anywhere from a week to 3 weeks in real time, depending on how things go in the game. I have hosted a game that lasted for a month and 2 days before. Granted, that game had 25 players! lol But I have also played games that have only last 5 days before, so it all depends on how the things go within the game. Thanks for the question, Zaphod! Good to see at least a couple of people are interested!

I'll try this out. We'll need to think of a way to stir up the activity level and get others involved.

1. Macocio
2. Zaphod

Backups:

1. Framm18

Yeah, I figured people would have some interest in this. There have been a good amount of views, but no one is saying anything...

If you are viewing this, but not posting, could you tell me what might be preventing you all from trying?

:( I was worried when I hadn't checked this in a few days that I might have missed something... That might have been dumb of me...

1. Macocio
2. Zaphod

Backups:

1. Framm18
2. Phaze

I've played this before, if the roster gets filled I can give you a few pointers if you like
WARNING: My pointers will more than likely get you lynched so take with advisement

Welcome Phaze! Thanks for showing interest in the game! :D

1. What is the objective of the game?

The objective of Mafia is for players to identify and eliminate the members of the opposing team (mafia or town) through strategic voting and use of special abilities.

2. How do players determine who is on the mafia team?

Players must use deductive reasoning and observation to identify suspicious behavior and voting patterns among their fellow players. The mafia team will try to blend in with the town team, so it is important to pay attention to details and inconsistencies.

3. Can players communicate with each other outside of the game?

No, all communication must be done within the game forum. This ensures a fair playing field for all players and prevents any potential cheating or collusion.

4. What happens if a player is killed?

If a player is killed, they are removed from the game and can no longer participate in discussions or voting. However, some players may have special abilities that can still be used after death, so it is important to pay attention to all players, even those who have been eliminated.

5. How long does a game of Mafia usually last?

The length of a game can vary depending on the number of players and the speed of discussion and voting. On average, a game can last anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks.