Question concerning basic Diff.Eq. 2nd order trick

• Thread starter astropi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    2nd order
In summary, the conversation discusses a trick for solving a second order differential equation with initial conditions. The trick involves rewriting the general solution using an extra term that simplifies the equation when the initial conditions are applied. This is valid because the constant term can be incorporated into the constant multiplying the exponential term. The conversation also mentions a bug with editing LaTeX on the forum.
astropi
question concerning basic Diff.Eq. 2nd order "trick"

Homework Statement

First of all, this is NOT for homework. In fact, this is a conceptual question. Now then, let me address my problem by presenting a simple example. Let's say you have a second order equation with initial conditions:

y(-1) = 2 & y'(-1) = 1

You can solve the D.E. by just applying the boundary conditions as usual, but I also understand there is a "trick". The trick is to rewrite the general solution. In other words, you can solve it the normal way by applying your ICs on (note the actual equation does not matter):

y = c_1e^{r_1t} + c_2e^{r_2t}

or you can use this "trick"

y = d_1e^{r_1(t+1)} + d_2e^{r_2(t+1)}honestly, I don't remember where this trick comes from. It's supposed to simplify the equation, because then when you apply -1 to t your exponents go to 0. However, could someone explain WHY this is valid? When exactly can you use this, and when can you not? Thanks, hopefully I've been clear about this.

-astropi

ps I tried to use [tex] and the thing totally messed up! What's up with that?

Physics news on Phys.org

[tex]e^{r_1(t+1)}= e^{r_1t+ r_1}= e^{r_1t+ r_1}= \left(e^{r_1}\right)\left(e^{r_1t}\right)[/tex]

And the constant [itex]e^{r_1}[/itex] can be incorporated into the constant multiplying [itex]e^{r_1(t+1)}[/itex].

That is, [itex]c_1= d_1e^{r_1}[/itex].

You tried to edit and the LaTex messed up? That's an annoying bug on this board. The LaTex will come out right the first time but if you try to edit it you can get some really weird things! Just click on the "refresh" button on our internet reader and it should correct. I tend to automatically click on "refresh" any time I edit LaTex.

HallsofIvy said:
[tex]e^{r_1(t+1)}= e^{r_1t+ r_1}= e^{r_1t+ r_1}= \left(e^{r_1}\right)\left(e^{r_1t}\right)[/tex]

And the constant [itex]e^{r_1}[/itex] can be incorporated into the constant multiplying [itex]e^{r_1(t+1)}[/itex].

That is, [itex]c_1= d_1e^{r_1}[/itex].

You tried to edit and the LaTex messed up? That's an annoying bug on this board. The LaTex will come out right the first time but if you try to edit it you can get some really weird things! Just click on the "refresh" button on our internet reader and it should correct. I tend to automatically click on "refresh" any time I edit LaTex.

Thanks for the reply, and the note on the latex bug!
Now I do understand that you multiply by an extra [tex]e^{r_1}[/tex], but just to clarify, you actually multiple both sides of the equation by that value (as you must in order to conserve the original equation), but that extra value on the left-hand side is just incorporated into the constant. Is that correct? Thanks in advance.

1. What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a second derivative, or rate of change, of a function. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in science and engineering.

2. What is the general form of a second order differential equation?

The general form of a second order differential equation is y'' = f(x,y,y'), where y is the dependent variable, x is the independent variable, and f is a function that relates the derivatives of y.

3. What is the trick for solving basic second order differential equations?

The trick for solving basic second order differential equations is to first identify the type of equation (homogeneous, non-homogeneous, or Cauchy-Euler) and then use techniques such as substitution, variation of parameters, or the characteristic equation to solve for the unknown function.

4. Can all second order differential equations be solved using this trick?

No, not all second order differential equations can be solved using this trick. Some equations may require more advanced techniques or may not have a closed-form solution.

5. How are second order differential equations used in science?

Second order differential equations are used in science to model real-world phenomena such as motion, growth, and decay. They are also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology to study and predict the behavior of complex systems.