Finding a Value of N for a Limit Question: How to Solve |r(x) - 3x/2| < 0.001

• Thread starter johnnyICON
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation is about finding a value of N that satisfies a given inequality involving a function and its limit. The function is given as r(x) and the limit is found to be 3x/2. The question asks for a value of N that satisfies |r(x) - 3x/2| < 0.001. The conversation also discusses the use of an arbitrary number S and the importance of considering the limit as x goes to infinity. Ultimately, the final value of N is dependent on both S and the error margin, and the conversation ends with a note to continue the discussion later.
johnnyICON
Hi, I have this question that I am not all to sure how to do. Actually, I don't know where to even start.

[itex]\large r(x)=\frac{3x^2 - Sx - S^2}{2x^2 + Sx + S ^ 2}[/itex] Where S represents some abitrary number, let's say 9 for an example.

I found the limit of the function to be [itex]\frac{3x}{2}[/itex]

Then the question asks me to find a value of N that satisfies [itex]|r(x) - \frac{3x}{2}| < 0.001[/itex]

I have no clue of where to start... I have these examples but they didn't help much.

Physics news on Phys.org
So you're taking the limit of r(x) as x goes to ?

Furthermore, the limit (if it exists) is a number. Your limit has an x-dependence.

I assume you take the limit as x goes to infinity, since that would resemble your answer closely.
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}r(x)=\frac{3}{2}[/tex]

Then I guess you must have [itex]|r(x)-\frac{3}{2}|<0.001[/itex] whenever [itex]x>N[/itex] for some number N.
I think N will depends on S. If S=9, you can check that N=1.000.000 for example easily does the job.

Write:
[tex]|r(x)-\frac{3}{2}|=|\frac{3x^{2}-Sx-S^{2}}{2x^{2}+Sx+s^{2}}-3/2\frac{x^{2}+Sx+S^{2}}{x^{2}+Sx+S^{2}}|=[/tex]
[tex]\frac{2}{x^{2}}|\frac{\frac{S}{x}+(\frac{S}{x})^{2}}{1+\frac{1}{2}(\frac{S}{x}+(\frac{S}{x})^{2})}|[/tex]
1. Assume that x is so big that:
[tex]|\frac{S}{x}+(\frac{S}{x})^{2}|<1[/tex]
Hence, we have:
[tex]|r(x)-\frac{3}{2}|\leq\frac{2}{x^{2}}\frac{1}{1-\frac{1}{2}}=(\frac{2}{x})^{2}[/tex]
2. From this it is simple to find a value of x which gives you your estimate.
3. You are not quite finished, though:
Evidently, you must find an N so that BOTH your inequalities,
[tex]|\frac{S}{x}+(\frac{S}{x})^{2}|<1[/tex], [tex](\frac{2}{x})^{2}<\epsilon[/tex]
are fulfilled, i.e, choose your N to be the maximal value of the "separate N's" you derive for each inequality.
Your final N is therefore dependent on both [tex]S,\epsilon[/tex]
([tex]\epsilon[/tex] is the stated error margin)

Last edited:
Thanks, I don't have time to look at this yet. I'm late for class. But the limit was as [itex]x[/itex] approaches [itex]infinity[/itex]. Sorry I should of mentioend that

Sure, I know that the limit goes to infinity; the derived inequalities holds for "the absolute value of x greater than some number"

Last edited:
arildno said:
Sure, I know that the limit goes to infinity; the derived inequalities holds for "the absolute value of x greater than some number"

Sorry, the message was for the post prior to yours... the one by... Galileo. Thanks for you help! I still don't have time to look at this... I'll give it a gander when I get home.

1. What is a limit in scientific terms?

A limit in scientific terms is the value that a function or sequence approaches as the independent variable approaches a certain value or as the number of terms in the sequence increases. It is often used to describe the behavior of a system or process and is an important concept in mathematics and physics.

2. How do limits help in scientific research?

Limits are essential in scientific research as they allow us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of a system or process. By understanding the limits of a function or sequence, we can better understand the underlying patterns and make more accurate predictions about the behavior of the system or process in question.

3. What are the different types of limits?

The two main types of limits are one-sided limits and two-sided limits. One-sided limits approach a value from either the left or right side of the function, while two-sided limits approach a value from both sides. Additionally, there are infinite limits and limits at infinity, which describe the behavior of a function as the independent variable approaches positive or negative infinity.

4. How do you calculate a limit?

To calculate a limit, you must first determine the function and the value that the independent variable approaches. Then, you can either use algebraic techniques or graphical analysis to evaluate the limit. This may involve plugging in values, simplifying the expression, or using the properties of limits.

5. Can limits be negative or complex?

Yes, limits can be negative or complex numbers. The limit of a function or sequence is simply the value that it approaches, regardless of whether it is positive, negative, or complex. It is important to consider all possible values when evaluating a limit to get a complete understanding of the behavior of the system or process.