How to design a ciruit that has 2 LED Lights

In summary, the circuit has two LED lights that flash on and off and make noise, and a speaker to produce sound. It needs two timers to produce different tones and one to control the light flashing.
Muhammad1993
How to design a ciruit that has 2 LED Lights ...

I want to design a circuit for the sake of me seing if i can do it. I need the following things 2 LED Lights which are flashing on and off and make noise relative to when there on or off ( like a police siren ) and also i need to house all of this in a toy car which i am going to put a motor in and make it go forward. I am a total amateur so please if anyone can tell me how to do this it would be very much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org

You could start with something like this:

[URL]http://freecircuitdiagram.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/led-flasher-555.gif[/URL]

This uses a 555 integrated circuit which is available at almost any electronics supply store.

Notice that R1 and R2 are not given. They control the flash rate of the LEDS.

Try 10 K for R1 and 100 K for R2. This will give a flash rate of 1.5 seconds with each LED being on for half this time.
Making a sound could use a similar circuit with the top LED and R3 removed and the speaker connected instead of LED2. Make R4 47 ohms.

You would also need to change the resistors to 1 K for R1 and 10 K for R2 and change the capacitor to 0.1uF. This gives a frequency of about 600 Hz.

These can be changed but try to keep the resistors in the same 10 to 1 ratio.

Making the frequency of the second oscillator depend on the flashing rate of the first one would be done by connecting a 100 K resistor from pin 3 of the first chip to pin 5 of the second one.

This resistor can be changed to get more or less shift in frequency.

Last edited by a moderator:

is it possible to make all of this in one circuit, would it work if i kept R3 and LED1 and then put in another resistor which would be R5 and then a speaker after that ? if it is where would this go ?

Thanks for the reply btw

It is possible to get a chip that has two 555's in it. This is called a 556. It has different pin connections, of course.

However, the 555 is used so often that the 556 may cost more than two 555's.

The two 555s in this circuit operate at very different frequencies. The LED flasher operates at about 0.6 Hz while the sound maker operates at about 600 Hz, so you couldn't really get one 555 to do both of these jobs.

An alternative would be to use a Picaxe microprocessor chip. These are wonderful, but not available easily in all countries.

im sorry about this but I am a complete amatuer your going to have to explain it in a simplified way

would it be best to get one 556 or two 555's ? and the second of the 555 would go between after the R3 and R4 slightly after where the resistors are? and then they would connect to the speakers ?

Muhammad1993 said:
im sorry about this but I am a complete amatuer your going to have to explain it in a simplified way

would it be best to get one 556 or two 555's ? and the second of the 555 would go between after the R3 and R4 slightly after where the resistors are? and then they would connect to the speakers ?
Depending on what you want, you may need 3, unless there's a novel solution that I'm unaware of. (Which is very possible)

Since you mention a siren, my assumption is that you want it to alternate between two different tones (wee woo wee woo wee woo) in sync with the flashing lights. Is that correct?

You'll need one timer for each tone, and one timer to alternate the lights and control the tone.

A 555 timer can sink/source about 200 mA, but that might not be enough to drive the speakers. I'm have an idea, and I'll mock it up in Multisim before I post it.

JiggyNinja.
Pin 5 of a 555 allows some frequency modulation, so you can get two tones from one 555.
If you simulate it, could you check on the frequency shift you get with 100 K?
I suspect it may have to be smaller than 100 K.

Muhammad1993:
Two 555s would be better than one 556. The pin numbers on the 556 are different and you might find this confusing.

You seem to have this OK.

I limited the current in the speaker by putting a 47 ohm resistor in series with it.
This allows some direct current to flow in the speaker and you would need to put a capacitor in series with the speaker and remove the 47 ohm resistor if you wanted louder sound.

For a toy, this might be adequate, though. I have shown this capacitor in series with the speaker in the following diagram:
[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/2%20LED%202%20tone.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

vk6kro said:
JiggyNinja.
Pin 5 of a 555 allows some frequency modulation, so you can get two tones from one 555.
If you simulate it, could you check on the frequency shift you get with 100 K?
I suspect it may have to be smaller than 100 K.
I know of the CONT pin, I just couldn't think of how to use it with this circuit. I've already got my breadboard out, so I'll do some experimentation at a slower frequency, see how it works.

The exact value of the resistor will likely depend on the two tones he wants for the siren.

EDIT: Breadboarded your idea. A value around 22K for the control pin resistor sounds perfect. Got a nice WEE WOO WEE WOO WEE WOO pitch to it, even if it is a little tinny (darn square waves). 100K is too big, and there wasn't enough difference in the pitches.

I didn't have a second 555, so I simulated it by flipping the end of the resistor from 5V to 0V with a relay.

Final advice to the OP, use a 9V battery to power this. It's within the 5-15V range the 555 needs for power, and connectors are really easy to find and solder in. Plus, the LED resistor values shown in vk's schematic are perfectly sized to let about 15 mA go through the LEDs at that voltage.

Last edited:

What does uF stand for and jiggy ninja it would be helpful if you can tell me what you said but in noob terms i don't mean to take the mick I am just an amateur

Muhammad1993 said:
What does uF stand for and jiggy ninja it would be helpful if you can tell me what you said but in noob terms i don't mean to take the mick I am just an amateur
It's okay, we all start out as newbs. :wink:

uF means microfarad, which is the unit for measuring capacitance. Specifically, 1 microfarad is 1 millionth of a farad.

By "breadboarded your idea", I mean that I actually built the circuit that vk6kro posted and tested it out. If you look at the resistor in blue connecting the two 555s together, he put a value of 100k there, but I found that 22k sounds better.

Since I only have one 555, I had to imitate the first one, which wasn't hard and isn't really important to know. It'll still work the same way.

555 Timers can be powered by anything from 5V to 15V. I think a 9V battery would be the best choice.

EDIT: Breadboarded your idea. A value around 22K for the control pin resistor sounds perfect. Got a nice WEE WOO WEE WOO WEE WOO pitch to it, even if it is a little tinny (darn square waves). 100K is too big, and there wasn't enough difference in the pitches.

JiggyNinja,
Thanks for checking that. I have changed the resistor in the diagram to show 22 K.

1. How do I determine the appropriate voltage and current for the LED lights?

The voltage and current for the LED lights depend on the specific LED used. Check the datasheet of the LED to determine the recommended values. Generally, most LEDs operate at a voltage of 2-3V and a current of 10-20mA.

2. Can I connect the LED lights in series or parallel?

Yes, you can connect the LED lights in series or parallel. Connecting them in series will divide the voltage among the LEDs, while connecting them in parallel will divide the current among the LEDs. Choose the appropriate configuration based on the LED specifications and power supply limitations.

3. How do I select the appropriate resistor for the LED circuit?

You can calculate the resistor value using Ohm's law (R = V/I) or use an online LED resistor calculator. Make sure to use the voltage and current values of the LED lights, as well as the supply voltage, in the calculation. It is recommended to choose a resistor with a slightly higher value than the calculated value to prevent damaging the LED.

4. What is the purpose of using a diode in the LED circuit?

A diode is used to protect the LED from reverse polarity and voltage spikes. It allows current to flow in only one direction, preventing damage to the LED.

5. Can I use a battery to power the LED circuit?

Yes, you can use a battery to power the LED circuit. However, make sure to choose a battery with the appropriate voltage and current rating for the LED lights. Also, consider the battery life and capacity for longer-lasting use.