Impulse question about Force and time

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between force and time in stopping a moving object. The equation Impulse = Net force x Change in time is used to explain how increasing the force applied by three times will result in a shorter time to stop the object. It is suggested to rearrange the equation to T = Impulse / Force and use hypothetical numbers to understand the concept better.
Exquisite_

Homework Statement

If, when catching the ball, the child applied triple the force, then the length of time that it would have taken to slow the ball would have been:

A. 9t
B. 3t
C. 1/3t
D. 1/9t

Homework Equations

Impulse = Net force x Change in time

The Attempt at a Solution

At first glance, I thought the answer would be B, since it seems logical to me that if you increase the net force, the time to stop the force would be longer...but my Physics teacher said that was wrong.

Assuming that she is right, where did I go wrong in my thinking? She did not care to explain to me.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
If the impulse remains the same, the product of force and time is constant. If one goes up, what must happen to the other to preserve the product?

Rearrange the equation to: T = Impulse / Force and try using hypothetical numbers:

e.g: T = ?, Impulse = 30 and Force = 10

then try using the same value for impulse but multiplying the force by three, as said in the question. What do you notice to the time?

Edit: Ops! Sorry, didn't see gneill's post

1. What is impulse?

Impulse is the product of force and time, and it measures the change in momentum of an object. It is represented by the equation I = F * Δt, where F is the force applied and Δt is the time interval over which the force is applied.

2. How is impulse related to force and time?

Impulse is directly proportional to both force and time. This means that the greater the force applied or the longer the time interval over which the force is applied, the larger the impulse will be.

3. What is the difference between impulse and force?

Force is a push or pull that causes an object to accelerate, while impulse is the change in momentum of an object due to a force. Force is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while impulse is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude.

4. How does impulse affect motion?

Impulse affects motion by changing the momentum of an object. According to Newton's second law of motion, the change in momentum of an object is equal to the force applied multiplied by the time interval over which the force is applied. This change in momentum will result in a change in the object's velocity, causing it to speed up, slow down, or change direction.

5. What are some real-life examples of impulse?

Some real-life examples of impulse include a baseball player swinging a bat, a person jumping off a diving board, and a car's airbag deploying during a collision. In all of these situations, a force is applied over a certain time interval, resulting in a change in momentum and therefore, impulse.