Speed of Pi Meson - Relativistic question

In summary, a pi meson at rest has an average lifetime of 2.60 x 10^-8s. Travelling at a speed very close to the speed of light, a pi meson travels a distance of 120m before decaying.
ZedCar
After being created in a high-energy particle particle accelerator, a pi meson at rest has an average lifetime of 2.60 x 10^-8s. Travelling at a speed very close to the speed of light, a pi meson travels a distance of 120m before decaying. How fast is it moving?

Answer: 0.998c

Could anyone give me an ideas as to how to start this, or which equation(s) I should be using?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
First calculate the pion life time in the lab frame. It's ok to use v = c here.

Then all you need is time dilatation and how the gamma factor depends on v.

ZedCar said:
Could anyone give me an ideas as to how to start this, or which equation(s) I should be using?
Hint: You are given ΔT0. What would the lifetime be in the lab frame? Write it in terms of the unknown speed v. (Do not assume v = c!) You'll then set up an equation and solve for the speed.

Doc Al said:
Hint: You are given ΔT0. What would the lifetime be in the lab frame? Write it in terms of the unknown speed v. (Do not assume v = c!) You'll then set up an equation and solve for the speed.

I would use the time dilation formula to obtain the lifetime in the lab frame.

Δt = γΔt0

Δt = γ(2.60x10^-8)
So I would have two unknowns, Δt and the v value in γ.

Is this correct so far? I solve this for v, which means the expression will have an unknown of Δt contained in it.

yes you're correct ... i just solved it this way and it gives the correct answer ...

ZedCar said:
Is this correct so far? I solve this for v, which means the expression will have an unknown of Δt contained in it.
So far, so good. Now combine this with the basic equation for velocity, which will eliminate Δt. Then you can solve for v, which will be the only unknown.

FYI, the method suggested by niklaus, of calculating Δt by taking v = c, is perfectly fine for this problem. The error introduced by that short cut is too small to matter.

But you should have no problem solving for v without needing any approximations.

1. What is a Pi Meson?

A Pi Meson, also known as a Pion, is a subatomic particle that belongs to the meson family. It is composed of a quark and an antiquark, and is one of the lightest mesons. It was first discovered in 1947 and has a mass approximately 273 times that of an electron.

2. How does the speed of a Pi Meson compare to the speed of light?

The speed of a Pi Meson, like all other subatomic particles, is always below the speed of light in a vacuum. However, in certain conditions such as particle collisions, Pions can reach speeds close to the speed of light, but never exceeding it.

3. What factors affect the speed of a Pi Meson?

The speed of a Pi Meson is affected by its mass, energy, and the strength of the applied force. As the mass and energy of the particle increase, so does its speed. Additionally, the strength of the force acting on the particle can also impact its speed.

4. Is the speed of a Pi Meson constant in all reference frames?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of a Pi Meson is constant in all frames of reference. This means that no matter how fast an observer is moving relative to the particle, the speed of the particle will always appear the same.

5. How is the speed of a Pi Meson measured?

The speed of a Pi Meson can be measured using particle accelerators, which accelerate the particles to high speeds and then measure the time it takes for them to travel a certain distance. Other methods such as observing the decay of Pions can also be used to determine their speed.