Scandalous reverence breach by HRH Mette-Marit

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary, HRH Mette-Marit made a scandalous reverence breach towards the Duchess of Cornwall, a common born woman of no higher royal rank than herself. Some try to salvage the breach by pointing out that it was "sympathetic" of Mette-Marit to make reverence towards an older woman, but that will not do at all; a revolution is needed!
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Scandalous reverence breach by HRH Mette-Marit!

Norway is in utter shock and deep humiliation when our consort to the Crown Prince, Mette Marit, made reverence towards the Duchess of Cornwall, a woman as common born as herself, and of no higher royal rank herself.

Some try to salvage this breach on royal etiquette by pointing out that Camilla Parker-Bowles (now, Duchess) by saying it was "sympathetic" of Mette-Marit to make reverence towards an older woman.
But that won't do at all, we need a revolution!
:grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org

The Natteravnene should hold a candle light vigil outside the palace.

If it's any help, I'm utterly shocked and deeply humiliated whenever anyone bows to royalty. - H.R.H. an Amerian Citizen.

Last edited:

Jimmy Snyder said:
If it's any help, I'm utterly shocked and deeply humiliated whenever anyone bows to royalty. - H.R.H. an Amerian Citizen.
Good Lord, she didn't bow. That would have given me a heart attack.
But, she DID curtsy, and that is bad enough.

What exactly does the title "Duchess of Cornwall" actually mean? Is Cornwall her royal fief? Is she involved in the civic affairs of Cornwall? Does she speak Cornish? Does she like Cornish food? Do the good citizens of Cornwall have anything to say about her being their Duchess? Does she collect rent from the good citizens of Cornwall?. If she is the Duchess, then her husband must be the Duke of Cornwall. However, he (William) will presumably become Prince of Wales. Can he be a duke and a prince at the same time? In fact, I think he is already a prince of some sort.

I consider these to be very important questions for which I require answers for my peace of mind.

SW VandeCarr said:
Does she collect rent from the good citizens of Cornwall?. If she is the Duchess, then her husband must be the Duke of Cornwall.
Indeed he is (like every heir to the throne has been since 1337). Though confusingly, much of the Duchy of Cornwall is not actually IN Cornwall.
However, he (William) will presumably become Prince of Wales.
I think you are confusing Prince William with his father Prince Charles.

AlephZero said:
Indeed he is (like every heir to the throne has been since 1337). Though confusingly, much of the Duchy of Cornwall is not actually IN Cornwall.

Why am I not surprised? Where is it? New Jersey?
I think you are confusing Prince William with his father Prince Charles.

Isn't Charles the current Prince of Wales? I meant that William would become Prince of Wales when Charles becomes king (if that ever happens). I think the Queen will live to be 100 like her mother.

Last edited:

No, Wales is a principality, not a duchy.
However, the Prince of Wales is ALSO the duke of Cornwall.
Wales has no princess.

The Duke of Cornwall exacted, in 2007, 16.3 million pound sterling in profit from the ducal holdings.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Cornwall

Last edited:

arildno said:
No, Wales is a princedom, not a duchy.
However, the Prince of Wales is ALSO the duke of Cornwall.
Wales has no princess.

Yes. Corrected that. In English we call it a principality. But if Cornwall (duchy) is mostly not in Cornwall (county), is Wales (principality) mostly not in Wales? BTW, if Cornwall is a county, shouldn't it have a count?

The Duke of Cornwall exacted, in 2007, 16.3 million pound sterling in profit from the ducal holdings.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Cornwall

And the people of the Duchy of Cornwall (where ever it is) should be proud to pay it so that they can say they have a duke of their very own.

They should have curtsied to one another (as opposed to a fish-slap dance).

turbo said:
They should have curtsied to one another (as opposed to a fish-slap dance).

No, that ugly British cow-witch should have fled in shame when beholding the resplendent beauty&regality of our Crown Princess! :approve:

I am slightly confused by the thread??

phoenix:\\ said:
I am slightly confused by the thread??

Plebeian uncertainties..

SW VandeCarr said:
Isn't Charles the current Prince of Wales? I meant that William would become Prince of Wales when Charles becomes king (if that ever happens). I think the Queen will live to be 100 like her mother.

Correct, but from your first post you seemed confused about who was married to whom.

Charles and Camilla (Duke and Duchess of Cornwall).
William and Kate (who is Duchess of Cambridge, not Cornwall).

AlephZero said:
Correct, but from your first post you seemed confused about who was married to whom.

Charles and Camilla (Duke and Duchess of Cornwall).
William and Kate (who is Duchess of Cambridge, not Cornwall).
William is Duchess of Cambridge,too??

I only knew that William is the current Baron Carrickfergus, but now I know better! :smile:

Does the Duchess of Cornwall have to schedule Cornish Game-Hens for dinner a specified number of times each week? Dem little birds should mount a counter-offensive.

I'm not quite sure whether this thread is meant as a joke or not... Royalty? In 2012? :rolleyes:

Hobin said:
I'm not quite sure whether this thread is meant as a joke or not... Royalty? In 2012? :rolleyes:
Off with their heads.

Hobin said:
What makes royalty acceptable/unacceptable and when did this change? 1854?

arildno said:
No, that ugly British cow-witch should have fled in shame when beholding the resplendent beauty&regality of our Crown Princess! :approve:

We have the hottest princess: Princess Catherine. Nuff said.

nobahar said:
what makes royalty acceptable/unacceptable and when did this change? 1854?

Jimmy Snyder said:

Actually Congress offered George Washington a crown, but he refused it and stepped down after two terms as president although he wasn't required to do so.

EDIT: Sorry, The crown part is apparently a myth. However Washington was not constitutionally limited to two terms. America's only king was Elvis l.

Last edited:

Jimmy Snyder said:
You mean wealthy elites ruling in their own interest? Same thing, different name, isn't it?

Edit: SW VandeCarr: I believe they did entertain the idea of a royal family.

nobahar said:
You mean wealthy elites ruling in their own interest? Same thing, different name, isn't it?
No, it's a different thing.

Jimmy Snyder said:
No, it's a different thing.

Yeah, some are just filthy mnoey-grubbers, others are divinely ordained to care for the realm and its many subjects.
:smile:

arildno said:
Yeah, some are just filthy mnoey-grubbers, others are divinely ordained to care for the realm and its many subjects.
:smile:
Similarities don't add up to same.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Similarities don't add up to same.

In fact the European monarchies that still exist have no real political power and could be deposed at any time by their elected parliaments. However, at least in the UK, the landed aristocracy does control a lot of wealth. The Duke of Kensington is one the world's richest people and collects rent on prime land in central London which he owns. At least Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs and others did something to earn their wealth. Westminster could destroy the Royal Family and the peerage (as such) through taxation and other legal means if the political will to do so existed. The fact is, European monarchies exist because the citizens of their respective countries want them to exist and are willing to pay for it.

Last edited:

SW VandeCarr said:
The fact is, European monarchies exist because the citizens of their respective countries want them to exist and are willing to pay for it.

The Norwegian royal family consistently has about 80% of the population in support of continued monarchy.
Slightly less than 60% of Norwegians eligible for voting in 1905, voted for monarchy, rather than republic.

So, our royalty has immense democratic support.

Hobin said:

Yes, royalty in 2012. According to your public profile, you live in The Netherlands. Ever heard of Queen Beatrix?

SW VandeCarr said:
Actually Congress offered George Washington a crown, but he refused it and stepped down after two terms as president although he wasn't required to do so.

EDIT: Sorry, The crown part is apparently a myth. However Washington was not constitutionally limited to two terms. America's only king was Elvis l.

Bah, I'm going to believe it anyway!

Thank you, George. You rock. Better than Elvis, even.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaFByfwCvBcFQVOTOySnorOo_snUPFz0FOTtbjnCDhOtZKNGvVs_pePRWN.jpg

lisab said:
Bah, I'm going to believe it anyway!

Thank you, George. You rock. Better than Elvis, even.

Better than Elvis!? Anyway, I think there was talk about crowning George, but it never got to the point where Congress formally offered him a crown. I think George put a stop to such talk.

EDIT: I'm still waiting to hear if Hobin knows The Netherlands has a reigning Queen. I know the royals keep a lower profile in The Netherlands than in the UK, but c'mon.

Last edited:

I believe Queen Beatrix to the Dutch is like the family shame over an idiot child one hides away somewhere, and does not speak of in polite company.

SW VandeCarr said:
EDIT: I'm still waiting to hear if Hobin knows The Netherlands has a reigning Queen. I know the royals keep a lower profile in The Netherlands than in the UK, but c'mon.
Who? :biggrin:

No, seriously, of course I do. I don't live under a rock. I assumed people would take my comment as "talking about all those arbitrary protocols of royalty as if it's something to take seriously? In 2012?" Apparently, you didn't.

arildno said:
I believe Queen Beatrix to the Dutch is like the family shame over an idiot child one hides away somewhere, and does not speak of in polite company.
I have no idea where you get that idea. I'm not particularly fond of the idea of having a queen or a king, that's true, but most people in the Netherlands don't agree with me. Beatrix is - as far as I'm aware - popular among the public.

Hobin said:
I have no idea where you get that idea. I'm not particularly fond of the idea of having a queen or a king, that's true, but most people in the Netherlands don't agree with me. Beatrix is - as far as I'm aware - popular among the public.

In that case, most Dutch are lacking in taste. :smile:

Don't you people have anything better to do than fret over how one person you don't know greeted another person you don't know?

On the other hand a month or so ago there was a meeting not of two but of all the Presidents of all the European Republics (except the monarchical one, France). A glittering array of grey suits. You hadn't heard of it? I wonder why.

What is the scandalous reverence breach by HRH Mette-Marit?

The scandalous reverence breach by HRH Mette-Marit refers to a controversial incident in which the Norwegian Crown Princess was accused of showing disrespect to a religious leader during a private dinner in 2018.

What happened during the private dinner?

During the private dinner, HRH Mette-Marit was seen sitting cross-legged on a sofa while talking to the head of the Norwegian Church. This was seen as a breach of protocol and a sign of disrespect towards the religious leader.

What was the reaction to the scandal?

The reaction to the scandal was mixed. Some people defended the Crown Princess, stating that sitting cross-legged is a common practice in many cultures and should not be seen as disrespectful. Others criticized her for not following proper protocol and showing a lack of respect towards the religious leader.

Has HRH Mette-Marit apologized for the incident?

Yes, HRH Mette-Marit issued a public apology for the incident, stating that she did not intend to show any disrespect and that she deeply regrets any offense caused. She also clarified that she was not aware of the protocol and cultural expectations in this situation.

Has this incident affected HRH Mette-Marit's reputation?

This incident has caused some controversy and criticism towards HRH Mette-Marit, but it does not seem to have had a major impact on her overall reputation. She continues to carry out her duties as the Crown Princess of Norway and is still highly regarded by many people.

Back