SUmmer Research Opportunities/Science Programs

In summary, a sophomore on Collegeconfidential is looking for research opportunities and summer programs for high school sophomores. Suggestions were given for programs such as Summer Science Program, NASA SHARP, Astronomy Camp, and Lawrence Berkeley Labs. The conversation also touched on the idea that some schools require calculus before taking physics, and that some universities offer summer research opportunities for high school students.
Simfish
Gold Member
Hi,

I'm a sophomore who already goes to Collegeconfidential (and to the CTY website_; but I'd still like to know if any of you know of any research opportunities/summer programs for HS sophomores. I'm going to apply to SUmmer Science Program and NASA SHARP - any other suggestions? I'm an Asian male, btw.

Physics news on Phys.org
Simfishy said:
I'm an Asian male, btw.
Just curious... how does this relate to your post? :confused:

MathStudent said:
Just curious... how does this relate to your post? :confused:

It means he isn't eligible to apply for programs geared toward minorities and women.

Simfishy, are you specifically interested in physics opportunities, or any science research opportunity?

ANy science research opportunity - unfortunately, due to the fact that sophomores cannot take a physics class, I am only taking a chemistry class at the current moment. But I'm also taking calculus - which can be a HUGE boost - since few sophs take calc..

Have you contacted universities near you? Try their websites. Many universities offer summer research opportunities for high school students, but they aren't always broadly advertised.

I think you have to already be a junior to be eligible for nasasharp..

Astronomy Camp
Summer Science Program
I've gone to the advanced camp at Astro Camp three times now (will probably be a counselor again this summer) and can assure you it's well worth going! Never made it out to SSP but I've heard very good things from those who have.

That is kind of dumb that chemistry isn't permitted before physics the two subjects are not at all sequential.

i don't know, i took physics in tenth grade(last year)

anyway, where are you located around? i have a friend who got into the carnegie institute summer of sophomore year, at the geophysical lab in DC.

anyhow, you don't have to have a formal application, if you want an internship you can just email around and ask for stuff

Lawrence Berkeley Labs (Berkeley, CA) has a history of taking hisg school students for summer internships :

http://www.lbl.gov/Education/CSEE/hssrpp.html

Last edited by a moderator:
omagdon7 said:
That is kind of dumb that chemistry isn't permitted before physics the two subjects are not at all sequential.

Not permitting him to take physics yet has nothing to do with requiring chemistry first, it's because if a school teaches physics properly, you need calculus first, so you take chemistry and calculus the same year, then take physics the next year.

1. What are summer research opportunities/science programs?

Summer research opportunities and science programs are typically short-term programs that allow students to engage in research activities and gain hands-on experience in a specific scientific field during the summer months. These programs are usually hosted by universities, research institutions, or government agencies and are open to students at various levels, from high school to graduate school.

2. Why should I participate in a summer research opportunity/science program?

Participating in a summer research opportunity or science program can have many benefits. It allows you to gain practical experience in your field of interest, build your resume, and network with professionals and other students. It can also help you develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills, which are essential for a career in science.

3. How can I find summer research opportunities/science programs?

There are various ways to find summer research opportunities and science programs. You can check the websites of universities and research institutions in your area or nationwide. You can also ask your professors, career counselors, or peers for recommendations. Additionally, some organizations and websites, such as the National Science Foundation and Pathways to Science, offer databases and search tools specifically for finding summer research programs.

4. What is the application process like for summer research opportunities/science programs?

The application process for summer research opportunities and science programs varies depending on the program. Some programs require a formal application, while others may only require a resume or letter of interest. Many programs have specific eligibility criteria and deadlines, so it's crucial to carefully read the application instructions and submit all required materials in a timely manner.

5. Are summer research opportunities/science programs paid?

Some summer research opportunities and science programs offer financial support, such as stipends, housing, and travel expenses. However, not all programs provide compensation, and the amount may vary depending on the program and your level of education. It's essential to research the program's funding options and requirements before applying.