Explaining Equation: L = \Phi+ [i \partial\tau - H]\Phi + \Phi+ * \Phi * \Phi

• Thread starter Alcubierre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for open string field theory in the light-cone gauge and its similarities to other equations in related fields. It also touches on the mathematical subjects involved in solving such equations and the variation in notation and symbolism among researchers. The conversation ends with a discussion on the importance of understanding basic concepts before delving into more complex theories.
Alcubierre
Hello,

I did not know where to post this, so my apologies in advance and move it if necessary. But could anyone explain this equation to me?

L = [itex]\Phi[/itex]+ [i [itex]\partial[/itex][itex]\tau[/itex] - H][itex]\Phi[/itex] + [itex]\Phi[/itex]+ * [itex]\Phi[/itex] * [itex]\Phi[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
That is the Lagrangian for open string field theory in the light-cone gauge. Compare with equations 2.15 and 3.7b in http://ccdb5fs.kek.jp/cgi-bin/img/allpdf?198708063 That is a technical paper that assumes the reader is familiar with quantum field theory. Since you appear to be a high-school student, I'm not quite sure how to even explain the terms in language that you'd be familiar with. Even though that precise equation doesn't appear, the wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_field_theory tries to explain the motivation, along with some more technical details, of string field theory.

Referring to the figures at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_field_theory#Light-cone_string_field_theory, the operator ##\Phi## is the string field, which creates the string state at a given point in space, represented by the cylinder. The first term describes how this state evolves in time. The 2nd, cubic, term describes interactions, which look like the splitting and joining indicated along the dotted lines in the second diagram on that page.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're correct, I am just a curious high school student. But thank you for the explanation, I was actually wondering what the operators were all about. What kind of math goes into solving such equations? And a follow-up, are the symbols used in the equations consistent throughout the theory or do they vary between researchers? I know that seems unreasonable to ask but I have read papers in which they use stars ("Introduction to String Theory," Hoof, Gerard 't, 2004) and it seems, for lack of a better word, random, to me.

Alcubierre said:
You're correct, I am just a curious high school student. But thank you for the explanation, I was actually wondering what the operators were all about. What kind of math goes into solving such equations?

I've never really studied string field theory in any detail, but the math subjects that go into defining that formula involve functional analysis, differential geometry and group theory. It's possible to get a bit more exotic and introduce some concepts from noncommutative geometry to describe the equations as well. Of course, as in many cases in physics, the physical principles are actually a bit more profound than the mathematics. You really need to understand quantum field theory well to really capture the meaning, which is itself built on a solid background of classical mechanics, quantum mechanics and electrodynamics.

And a follow-up, are the symbols used in the equations consistent throughout the theory or do they vary between researchers? I know that seems unreasonable to ask but I have read papers in which they use stars ("Introduction to String Theory," Hoof, Gerard 't, 2004) and it seems, for lack of a better word, random, to me.

The symbols and notation are sometimes correlated with the age of the author, or at least with what era they learned the subject (and the sources they learned from). In 't Hooft's case, he was probably familiar with the subject in the 70s and 80s, so his perspective includes some of the notation and pedagogy that was common then. If you took a look at the string theory notes by David Tong, who is younger by around a couple of decades or so, you will probably find some differences (like an emphasis on conformal field theory techniques), but other things will be similar. It can sometimes be challenging for a student, but by the time you start to really understand a subject, you can understand other types of notation that have the same meaning.

Now, I took a quick look at my copy of 't Hooft's notes and don't see any mention of string field theory, so I'm not sure which "stars" you're referring to. Sometimes a star denotes complex conjugation, but here it's being used to define a specific type of product between string fields.

I don't know if that's it all about, just pointing something out:
Ψ+ is used even in Dirac's fields to denote not exactly the complex conjugation, but there exist γ0

if you find it difficult to understand these things, it's better to start studying more "easy" quantum physics. I use " because it is not easy. People tend to dream of the big ideas, but forget that all those big ideas are built over some basic ones, that can of course be really complex. As is Quantum Theory, and in expansion the whole QFT. There is no reason to start studying books and literature, if you have not seen simpler concepts. If things were that simple, we wouldn't need great minds to introduce us from classical to quantum mechanics, and later on in quantum field theory, etc... We would immediately have gone in QFT and finito. I wonder if a high school student can really understand what is for example the Lagrangian (even classically)...

I was watching a video with Michio Kaku and that equation came up and I wanted clarification, that's all. I do have an idea of what Lagrangian is, without looking it up, and I know it is something to do with conservation of momentum and energy in systems and in which conditions energy and momentum are conserved. But, as to your statement, I am starting with the "easy" quantum physics, I just came across that equation in a video for the laymen.

What is the meaning of the equation L = \Phi+ [i \partial\tau - H]\Phi + \Phi+ * \Phi * \Phi?

The equation L = \Phi+ [i \partial\tau - H]\Phi + \Phi+ * \Phi * \Phi is a mathematical representation of a physical phenomenon called the Lagrangian. It is commonly used in physics to describe the dynamics of a system, such as particles or fields.

What is the role of each term in the equation L = \Phi+ [i \partial\tau - H]\Phi + \Phi+ * \Phi * \Phi?

The \Phi+ term represents the complex conjugate of the field \Phi. The [i \partial\tau - H]\Phi term is known as the kinetic term and describes the energy of the system. The final term, \Phi+ * \Phi * \Phi, is the potential term and represents the potential energy of the system.

How is the equation L = \Phi+ [i \partial\tau - H]\Phi + \Phi+ * \Phi * \Phi used in scientific research?

This equation is often used in theoretical and computational physics to model and analyze the behavior of physical systems. It is also a fundamental part of the Lagrangian formalism, which is an important tool in many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics and field theory.

What is the significance of the imaginary unit (i) in the equation L = \Phi+ [i \partial\tau - H]\Phi + \Phi+ * \Phi * \Phi?

The imaginary unit (i) is a mathematical concept that represents the square root of -1. In this equation, it is used to describe the dynamics of a system in terms of complex numbers, which allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the system's behavior.

Are there any real-world applications of the equation L = \Phi+ [i \partial\tau - H]\Phi + \Phi+ * \Phi * \Phi?

Yes, this equation has numerous applications in various fields of physics, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. It is also used in engineering and technology, such as in the design of electronic circuits and communication systems.