Understanding Toggle Flip-Flop Counter Sequence

• Thread starter planauts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Counter
In summary, this is an example of using chained synchronous T-type flip-flops (which are level triggered) to propagate an always high input over three clock cycles, creating a counter sequence of 000, 001, 010, and 111. The outputs are labelled in reverse, with Q0 being the least significant bit. The input labelled "1" is always high, causing the output to toggle at the time of the clock event.
planauts

Homework Statement

http://puu.sh/2qUr7

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://puu.sh/2qUwc

I know that Q0 goes toggles 1/0 every rising edge. And Q1 toggles 1/0 every rising edge of Q0. And Q2 toggles 1/0 every rising edge of Q1. But I don't understand how the sequence becomes 000, 001, 010, 111.

Could someone please explain that?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
planauts said:

Homework Statement

http://puu.sh/2qUr7

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://puu.sh/2qUwc

I know that Q0 goes toggles 1/0 every rising edge. And Q1 toggles 1/0 every rising edge of Q0. And Q2 toggles 1/0 every rising edge of Q1. But I don't understand how the sequence becomes 000, 001, 010, 111.

Could someone please explain that?

Thanks!

I don't understand what is puzzling you. The sequence you show in your solution is correct. The next state after your 111 will be 000 and it starts over.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what you have here is a series of chained D-type flip flops much like this diagram:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...98C1C201365578950E83283BBF96B&selectedIndex=0

On a timing event (either a rising edge or falling edge) the value of T propagates to Q.
Notice that the clock is common to all memory storage elements - this is an example of a SYNCHRONOUS system. There is one clock and only one clock.

Let us make the reasonable assumption that at t=0 the values of the outputs at Q0 Q1 Q2 are all 0.

So at t = 0 seconds
Q0 = 0 Q0 = 0 Q0 = 0

Now let us pretend that they are all rising edge triggered and let Clock = 1 at t = 1 seconds

As the flip-flops sense the change in level the allow what is at their input to pass through them to their output

Hence the values now read...

Q0 = 1 Q1 = 0 Q2 = 0

on the next rising edge we have

Q0 = 0 Q1 = 1 Q2 = 0

then we will have

Q0 = 0 Q1 = 0 Q2 = 1

I don't really see how this is a counter - I would call this a shift register with no feedback.

Unless the input labelled 1 is supposedly ALWAYS high and not just high at t = 0

then the output would read

Oh, okay... and the Q2 Q1 Q0 are labelled in reverse... hence Q0 is the LEAST SIGNIFICANT BIT.

Ok so the sequence reads.

So to summarise this is an example of using chained synchronous D-type Flip Flops (which are level triggered) to propagate an always high input over three clock cycles which trigger the memory storage elements with an always high input to create a counter.

AugustCrawl said:
So what you have here is a series of chained D-type flip flops much like this diagram:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...98C1C201365578950E83283BBF96B&selectedIndex=0

On a timing event (either a rising edge or falling edge) the value of T propagates to Q.
Notice that the clock is common to all memory storage elements - this is an example of a SYNCHRONOUS system. There is one clock and only one clock.

Let us make the reasonable assumption that at t=0 the values of the outputs at Q0 Q1 Q2 are all 0.

So at t = 0 seconds
Q0 = 0 Q0 = 0 Q0 = 0

Now let us pretend that they are all rising edge triggered and let Clock = 1 at t = 1 seconds

As the flip-flops sense the change in level the allow what is at their input to pass through them to their output

Hence the values now read...

Q0 = 1 Q1 = 0 Q2 = 0

on the next rising edge we have

Q0 = 0 Q1 = 1 Q2 = 0

then we will have

Q0 = 0 Q1 = 0 Q2 = 1

I don't really see how this is a counter - I would call this a shift register with no feedback.

Unless the input labelled 1 is supposedly ALWAYS high and not just high at t = 0

then the output would read

Oh, okay... and the Q2 Q1 Q0 are labelled in reverse... hence Q0 is the LEAST SIGNIFICANT BIT.

Ok so the sequence reads.

So to summarise this is an example of using chained synchronous D-type Flip Flops (which are level triggered) to propagate an always high input over three clock cycles which trigger the memory storage elements with an always high input to create a counter.

Thanks I understand (sort of). However, the solution says: 000, 001, 010, 111. You have 011 instead of 010?

These are "T" (toggle) flip-flops, not "D"-type. When the input is a 1, at the time of the clock event the output will toggle. If the input were a 0, the output would not toggle, but rather hold its last state. Book answer looks correct.

I had though that latches were asynchronous elements (edge triggered) and that by combining them in clever arrangements we are able to form both +ve edge triggered -ve edge triggered and level triggered flip flops. I guess this T type must be an example of the "level triggered" variety. Thank you for the correction lewando :)

1. What is a toggle flip-flop counter?

A toggle flip-flop counter is a type of digital circuit used for counting events or occurrences. It is made up of two toggle flip-flop circuits, which are electronic devices that have two stable states (0 and 1) and can store and transfer data. The counter counts up or down depending on the input signals received.

2. How does a toggle flip-flop counter work?

A toggle flip-flop counter works by using the input signals to change the state of the flip-flops. Each flip-flop has two outputs, Q and Q', which are the inverse of each other. When both inputs of a flip-flop are set to 1, it changes its state from 0 to 1 or vice versa. This change in state is then transferred to the next flip-flop, which continues the counting process.

3. What are the advantages of a toggle flip-flop counter?

One advantage of a toggle flip-flop counter is its simplicity. It is made up of only two flip-flops, making it easier to design and troubleshoot. It also has a high speed of operation, making it suitable for applications that require fast counting. Additionally, it can be easily integrated into larger circuits due to its small size and low power consumption.

4. What are the limitations of a toggle flip-flop counter?

A toggle flip-flop counter has a limited counting range, as it can only count up to the maximum number of bits in the circuit. It also suffers from glitches, which are unwanted changes in the output due to slight variations in the input signals. This can affect the accuracy of the counting process. Additionally, it is not suitable for applications that require counting in non-binary numbers.

5. What are some common uses of a toggle flip-flop counter?

Toggle flip-flop counters are commonly used in electronic devices such as watches, timers, and calculators for counting and displaying numbers. They are also used in digital circuits for tasks such as frequency division, event counting, and pulse generation. In addition, they are used in control systems for monitoring and tracking the number of cycles or events that have occurred.