Heating Polystyrene: Highest Temp Without Deformation?

• Thread starter gkiverm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heating
In summary, polystyrene dishes were placed in an oven with a melting temperature of 240C. Despite being at a lower temperature of 85C, the dishes (35 mm diameter) still became deformed. The highest temperature for this material to be heated without deforming the dishes is around 90 °C, as it has a glass transition temperature of ~90 °C. Further information can be found in the "Expanded Polystyrene Handbook."
gkiverm
I placed some polystyrene dishes in an oven. Now, the melting temperature of this material is 240C. And I was at a temperature of 85C. Although this is lower than the melting temperature, the dishes (35 mm diameter) still became deformed.

Does anyone know the highest temperature this material can be heated without deforming the dishes? I realize this is a very specific question, and I could figure out the answer using trial and error, but in the interest of time and limited materials I was wondering if anyone here knew.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person

1. How hot can you heat polystyrene before it deforms?

The highest temperature that polystyrene can withstand without deforming depends on the density of the material. However, on average, polystyrene will begin to deform at temperatures between 212-240°F (100-115°C).

2. Can polystyrene be safely heated in a microwave?

No, it is not safe to heat polystyrene in a microwave as it can melt, deform, and potentially release harmful chemicals into your food. It is recommended to use microwave-safe containers for heating food.

3. What happens to polystyrene if it is heated beyond its melting point?

If polystyrene is heated beyond its melting point, it will melt and turn into a liquid. Once cooled, it will solidify again, but it may have a different texture and may not be suitable for its original purpose.

4. Can polystyrene be reheated multiple times without deforming?

No, once polystyrene has been heated and cooled, it will not return to its original shape if heated again. Repeated heating will cause the material to degrade and deform permanently.

5. Is it safe to use high-temperature heat guns on polystyrene?

No, it is not recommended to use high-temperature heat guns on polystyrene as it can cause the material to melt and release harmful fumes. It is best to use low-temperature heat guns or other heating methods for polystyrene.