How can I create a 1Telsa uniform magnetic field?

In summary: I am a geologist and I am going to manufacture magnetic field fordetachment metalic minrals , so I and some my friend want to make this field by one machine.can you help me?
robert135
I am working on an experiment with a relatively high powered uniform magnetic field... and need to get at least 1 Tesla for it to work.

I am familiar with the theories around how these fields can be created, but am curious if in practical application how one would do it.

Is there a place I can purchase this style equipment?

Is there a way I can manufacture this field myself?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1 tesla is pretty large. what sort of experiment is it?

you can take a 1000 turn solenoid and pump 796 amps through it! :tongue2: :devil: :smile:

Last edited:
Welcome to Physics Forums robert135 and dtang0!

How large is the volume in which you need the field? How uniform? Over what time period do you need this field?

Some suggestions: 1) those expensive things some modern hospitals have, to do NMR imaging; 2) the magnets they use in big particle accelerators, to keep the beams going round the racetrack, or to generate synchrotron radiation.

If I used a solenoid as far as I can remember the Formula is MU s-zero * N * I
and Mu s-zero is pretty darn small...

I know only so much about how to step up amps.. and while I doubt I could pull off 700+ amps, I could pull off a fraction of that I believe rather easily.

I am trying to test reactions on various objects placed within a large magnetic field. I The volume of area needed would be around 4 inches cubed. That would at least allow me to work with enough space to get stuff in the field.

Nereid said:
Welcome to Physics Forums robert135 and dtang0!

thanks! I am already enjoying my stay!

You need a water cooled resistive magnet. I think it is kind of expensive if you want to have it at home.You may check price for a used equipment.
Otherwise , NMR superconducting magnets in physics labs are sometimes idling, and they have very large bore. The problem here is that they will not allow you to change the field strength.

Hi robert
excuse me
I am a geologist and I am going to manufacture magnetic field fordetachment metalic minrals , so I and some my friend want to make this field by one machine.
can you help me?
tank you...

I have worked with many types of magnets. Critical is the volume of the required field. If it is just a few mm^3 you may get away with a permanent magnet with a focusing pole piece. If you need more like some cm^3 we're talking about electromagnets, power hungry, big, unstable. If you need cm3 to dm3 only supeconducting magnets are sensible. It is rather attractive to buy a second hand superconducting NMR specrometer and tune the field down to the required range. You need to be used to handling liquid helium and nitrogen though. The spectrometers can be adjusted ("shimmed") to ppb homogeneity. Homogeneity is also an important factor. If you give some info on volumes I can tell you more about this.

1. How do I generate a 1 Tesla magnetic field?

The most common way to generate a 1 Tesla magnetic field is by using an electromagnet. This involves passing an electrical current through a coil of wire, which creates a magnetic field that can be adjusted to reach the desired strength. Alternatively, a permanent magnet with a strong magnetic field can also be used to generate a 1 Tesla field.

2. What equipment do I need to create a 1 Tesla uniform magnetic field?

To create a 1 Tesla uniform magnetic field, you will need an electromagnet or a permanent magnet, a power source, and a container or setup to hold the magnets in place. You may also need materials such as iron or steel to help shape and concentrate the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the uniformity of a 1 Tesla magnetic field?

The uniformity of a 1 Tesla magnetic field can be affected by several factors, including the strength and shape of the magnet, the distance between the magnet and the object being magnetized, and any surrounding materials that may interfere with the field. Careful placement and shaping of the magnets can help to ensure a more uniform magnetic field.

4. Can a 1 Tesla magnetic field be harmful to humans?

A 1 Tesla magnetic field is generally considered safe for humans. However, exposure to strong magnetic fields can cause dizziness, nausea, and other temporary symptoms. It is important to follow safety precautions and limit exposure to strong magnetic fields, especially for individuals with medical devices such as pacemakers.

5. What are the practical applications of a 1 Tesla uniform magnetic field?

A 1 Tesla uniform magnetic field has a wide range of practical applications, including in scientific research, medical imaging (such as MRI machines), and industrial processes such as metal sorting and particle accelerators. It can also be used in everyday products such as speakers and motors.