Understanding the Conversion Between Miles Per Hour and Kilometers Per Hour

• Thread starter brycenrg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, the conversation is about the confusion over the conversion rate between miles per hour (mph) and kilometers per hour (kmph). The individual initially thought that kmph would be smaller than mph because km is a larger number than mi. However, they later realized that the rate of travel, per hour, is what determines the conversion rate. Therefore, 1 mph is equal to 1.6 kmph because it takes a little quicker acceleration to travel 1 km compared to 1 mi. They then express their confusion about why 1 mph would be equivalent to 0.62 kmph, but later understand that this is because a mile is actually longer than a kilometer.
brycenrg
So I was thinking the other day why is kmph appear bigger than mph in conversions. I thought sense km was a bigger number it would be smaller because converting mi to KM u would reach .6 of a mile. Anyways I then I realized per hour is the rate at which it takes to travel that distant. So if i converted 1 mph to kmph it would be 1.6 because it takes a little quicker acceleration to reach 1 km than m. because km is longer than mi

----> = Mile
---------> = Km

Ahh I am confused now again lol. My brain doesn't understand why 1 mph would be .62 kmph because if you go ----> this distance per h which is a mile but then convert it to km wouldn't u have gone less in km because km is a bigger number.. lol I know I am wrong but i can't see it the correct way lol someone help

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Never mind.. a mile is bigger than a km Lol. Thats why i was confused.

1. What is the difference between miles per hour (mph) and kilometers per hour (kmph)?

Mph and kmph are both units of speed measurement. Mph is used to measure speed in the imperial system, while kmph is used in the metric system. 1 mph is equivalent to 1.609 kmph, meaning that kmph covers a larger distance in the same amount of time compared to mph.

2. How do I convert mph to kmph or vice versa?

To convert miles per hour to kilometers per hour, multiply the mph value by 1.609. To convert kilometers per hour to miles per hour, divide the kmph value by 1.609. For example, if you want to convert 60 mph to kmph, multiply 60 by 1.609. The result is 96.54 kmph. To convert 100 kmph to mph, divide 100 by 1.609. The result is 62.14 mph.

3. Is mph or kmph a more accurate measurement of speed?

Both mph and kmph are equally accurate measurements of speed. The difference lies in the system of measurement used. Some countries use the imperial system and are more familiar with mph, while others use the metric system and are more familiar with kmph.

4. Why do cars in the US have speedometers in mph while cars in other countries have speedometers in kmph?

This is because the US uses the imperial system, which includes measurements such as miles and pounds. Other countries, such as most European countries, use the metric system, which includes measurements such as kilometers and kilograms. Therefore, cars in the US are designed to display speed in mph, while cars in other countries are designed to display speed in kmph.

5. Does it matter if I use mph or kmph when driving?

The unit of measurement used does not affect the actual speed of the vehicle. However, it is important to know which unit your speedometer is displaying in for accurate understanding of your speed. Additionally, it is important to use the appropriate unit when following speed limits, which are usually displayed in either mph or kmph depending on the country.