Opening a bit map in Visual C++

In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for recommendations on how to open and edit a bitmap file in Visual C++. Other participants suggest using packages such as GL or .net, as well as searching for bitmap functions in the C help file. The original person clarifies that they are interested in using VC++ for a learning exercise in image processing, and others suggest finding libraries and snippets of code for opening and reading bitmaps, or even writing their own implementation.
interested_learner
Could someone recommend a way to open and edit a bitmap file in Visual C++?

Technology news on Phys.org
code one? PLenty of packages out there...GL has a their own function and I'm pretty sure .net has an embedded function also. Search the Help option in .net

You're trying to use Visual C++ as a graphics editor? I don't know if that's possible. neurocomp is suggesting ways to write programs which read and write bitmaps.

- Warren

You can do it.
Lots of calls to kernal and user dll.
Search the C help file for bitmap functions.
Don't know if I'd want to do that much work now that you can find an editor to open almost anything.

what I am interested in...

What I am really interested in is using VC++ to do the projects in a image processing textbook. Nothing practical, just a learning exercise. I have to be able to open and manipulate a bitmap though to get to square one...

You should be able to find 100,000 different libraries and snippets of code for opening and reading bitmaps. In fact, the bitmap is so simple that you might even just consider writing your own implementation.

- Warren

1. How do I open a bit map in Visual C++?

To open a bit map in Visual C++, you will first need to create a new project in Visual Studio. Once your project is created, you can right-click on the project in the Solution Explorer and select "Add" > "Existing Item" to add your bit map file to the project. You can then use the LoadImage function to load the bit map into your program.

2. What is the purpose of opening a bit map in Visual C++?

Opening a bit map in Visual C++ allows you to access and manipulate the individual pixels of the image. This can be useful for tasks such as image editing, computer vision, and image processing.

3. Can I open multiple bit maps in Visual C++ at once?

Yes, you can open multiple bit maps in Visual C++ at once. You can use the LoadImage function to load each bit map into a separate variable, and then manipulate each one individually.

4. How do I display a bit map in a Visual C++ application?

To display a bit map in a Visual C++ application, you can use the DrawBitmap function to draw the image onto a device context. Alternatively, you can use a picture control to display the bit map in a window.

5. Is it possible to modify a bit map in Visual C++?

Yes, it is possible to modify a bit map in Visual C++. You can use functions such as SetPixel to change the color of individual pixels, or use more advanced techniques such as image filters or transformations to modify the entire image.