Pf Photo Contest - Play It Again Sam (5/19-5/25)

In summary, there will be a new contest for any previously submitted photo that did not win First, Second, or Third place in the FINAL round. Entries must be digital photos or scanned photos, and must be size no more than 650x490 or 490x650 pixels. Please resize your photo to these dimensions, and crop if necessary. You may also add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes. The contest will run for 7 weeks, and the winner will be determined by a poll at the end.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Play It Again Sam

There are so many incredible pictures that didn't win in a prior contest, that I have decided they should get another chance. So, this weeks contest is for any previously submitted photo that did not win First, Second, or Third place in the FINAL round. Placing in a runoff doesn't count against you, if you didn't win in the FINAL, you can enter the picture. :uhh: I'm probably in big trouble now. :redface:

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
:rofl: Great idea! :biggrin: Is Zz already gone so he won't see what you're up to? :rofl:

Moonbear said:
:rofl: Great idea! :biggrin: Is Zz already gone so he won't see what you're up to? :rofl:
He pm'd me and said I was in charge. :uhh:

Let's hope he doesn't see this until he gets back. :bugeye:

Evo said:

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

aaah this is so confusing, now I don't know what to do! :rofl:

lol rule number 9 should probably be omitted from this one.

Rule #9 means don't confuse Evo by posting pictures that aren't entries in the contest. :wink:

Moonbear said:
Rule #9 means don't confuse Evo by posting pictures that aren't entries in the contest. :wink:

that makes sense. Either that, or everyone who enters this contest is automatically disqualified :biggrin:

I like the idea though, some of my favorite pictures haven't won. maybe this time they will. I hope they get posted... like the one in the eraser contest, I can't remember who's it was.

So, this weeks contest is for any previously submitted photo that did not win First, Second, or Third place in the FINAL round.
:rofl: Does that include the disqualified photos - too? :biggrin:

Moonbear said:

I'm still here (I won't be gone till the 25th). But I still think this is a great idea.

I have to dig out all of the pictures I submitted that didn't even make it to the final rounds.

Zz.

yea, does it include disqualified ones? because my favorite picture I submitted got disqualified because it didn't quite fit the guidelines.

Astronuc said:
:rofl: Does that include the disqualified photos - too? :biggrin:
If you mean Moonbear's Disqualified thread that never entered, that might be another contest, but a great idea. For now, we will limit it to actual entries that didn't win.

ZapperZ said:
I'm still here (I won't be gone till the 25th). But I still think this is a great idea.

I have to dig out all of the pictures I submitted that didn't even make it to the final rounds.

Zz.
Phew, I was hoping you'd agree. :redface: I think a lot of great photos need recognition.

I like this idea, especially since some contests had so many great photos they all deserved to win. Then again, my losers still won't stand a chance. I'll look through them though, just in case I think one is worth a second chance.

This is going to be reaallly tough. We aren't going to have a common parameter to base our judgement on. On second thought, that sounds like fun! :biggrin:

Its a great idea indeed, unfortunately the only picture I ever entered won 2nd place :-(.

Whatever happened to the concept 'It's not the winning, but the taking part that is important'? Let's see what happens..

Monique said:
Whatever happened to the concept 'It's not the winning, but the taking part that is important'? Let's see what happens..

That concept entered a competition of realistic concepts and lost.

It did get the "c'mon, who are you kidding" honorary mention ribbon though.

So far there's a lot of talk but no submission! :)

So I'll start. This was the picture I submitted in the Water, Water, Everywhere contest. I thought it was one of the better picture that I have taken, but it didn't even place. So here it is again (probably will suffer the same fate).

img5453fa0.jpg

Zz.

Ooooh, I like that! I must have missed it before.

I must have missed it before too!

I liked this one, of ferrofluid over two overlapping magnetic fields (one responsible for the spikes, and the other for the dome), submitted to the close-up picture contest.
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2217/ferrozd5.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
My non-winning photos have no chance against the ones I know are out there (especially with the first two entries already posted), but in the spirit of fun, I liked this one I submitted for the "When you wish upon a star" contest.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/6250/mooniesmoon0sn.jpg [Broken]

Ooooh MK, I missed yours also.

Moonbear, I think I either voted for your picture or it was one of the ones I had to decide between.

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9495/sunsetlg8.jpg [Broken]

from sunrise, sunset

Ah, yes, there really have been a lot of difficult contests to choose good photos from...and this is going to wind up being another one! This will be even more interesting, because without having a theme to take into account, it's going to come down to a lot of personal preferences in addition to photo quality. I'd already have a hard time deciding from among just a few entries. I love the colors in Zz's photo (and the really crisp, sharp lines), and the shapes created in Mk's photo (along with smooth, soft edges), and the way it looks like the water is actually moving in Hypnagogue's photo, and you can just feel the heat of that setting sun with all that haze around it. This is going to be impossible to choose! :biggrin:

flare.jpg

From Things that go bump in the night

Here is my wildly popular (right!) image from the "Let it Snow", taken during a steady light rain to document the anemic excuse for a winter that we were experiencing. No significant snow-fall showed up until we were officially in Spring.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/1098/snowox3.jpg [Broken]

This was my contribution for "It's All There In Black and White" that did not place:
SheilaBW.jpg

Oh no! This is going to be another impossible thread to select from. :cry:

Evo said:
Oh no! This is going to be another impossible thread to select from. :cry:
Listen up, sweetie! You have thrown down a pretty big gauntlet. Maybe you need to let this one run its course. My rainy-day winter pic isn't going to do crap, but there are some pretty nice images that will rise to the top. (I like scorpa's, for one)

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Listen up, sweetie! You have thrown down a pretty big gauntlet.
I knew there were some really awesome pictures that didn't win and I wanted them to have another chance, I didn't realize how difficult it would be to choose among them. How could these pictures not win? I love your picture, and I love the others.

WHAT HAVE I DONE? :cry:

I should never have gone against Zz's wisdom. :frown:

Evo said:
I knew there were some really awesome pictures that didn't win and I wanted them to have another chance, I didn't realize how difficult it would be to choose among them. How could these pictures not win? I love your picture, and I love the others.

WHAT HAVE I DONE? :cry:

I should never have gone against Zz's wisdom. :frown:
You have unleashed the dogs of Hell, Woman! You can vainly attempt to call them back, now!

turbo-1 said:
You have unleashed the dogs of Hell, Woman! You can vainly attempt to call them back, now!
Wait, I'm a mentor, I can fix the polls and make it a tie for first place for all entries!

MUWAHAHAAA

:devil:

Evo said:
Wait, I'm a mentor, I can fix the polls and make it a tie for first place for all entries!

MUWAHAHAAA

:devil:
I can "fix" your amendment, make it disappear in all browsers, and make it appear that alternate options display. Play nice, or join Angela Bennet.

turbo-1 said:
I can "fix" your amendment, make it disappear in all browsers, and make it appear that alternate options display. Play nice, or join Angela Bennet.
I couldn't really do it, I'm not an evil mentor.

<lying through her teeth to intentionally mislead turbo-1>

:uhh:

Evo said:
I couldn't really do it, I'm not an evil mentor.

<lying through her teeth to intentionally mislead turbo-1>

:uhh:
I heard that remark! There are some killer pictures that didn't even place in final polling, and I think we can expect some really tough choices in the vote, here.

CNV00023.jpg

Submitted for the straight and narrow compo.

I was going to submit my entry for sunrise-sunset but it turns out i got 2nd for that. When did that happen? :confused:

<h2>1. What is the theme of the "Pf Photo Contest - Play It Again Sam (5/19-5/25)"?</h2><p>The theme of the contest is "Play It Again Sam," which means we are looking for photos that capture the idea of replaying or reliving a moment or experience.</p><h2>2. Who can participate in the contest?</h2><p>The contest is open to anyone who is 18 years or older and has a valid email address.</p><h2>3. How do I submit my photo for the contest?</h2><p>To submit your photo, you must first follow our Instagram page (@pfphotocontest) and then post your photo on your own Instagram account using the hashtag #PfPhotoContest and tagging our page in the caption or on the photo itself.</p><h2>4. Can I submit more than one photo for the contest?</h2><p>Yes, you can submit multiple photos, but each photo must be posted as a separate entry on your Instagram account with the required hashtag and tag.</p><h2>5. How will the winners be selected?</h2><p>The winners will be selected by a panel of judges based on the creativity, originality, and adherence to the theme of the photo. The winners will be announced on our Instagram page and contacted through direct message.</p>

1. What is the theme of the "Pf Photo Contest - Play It Again Sam (5/19-5/25)"?

The theme of the contest is "Play It Again Sam," which means we are looking for photos that capture the idea of replaying or reliving a moment or experience.

2. Who can participate in the contest?

The contest is open to anyone who is 18 years or older and has a valid email address.

3. How do I submit my photo for the contest?

To submit your photo, you must first follow our Instagram page (@pfphotocontest) and then post your photo on your own Instagram account using the hashtag #PfPhotoContest and tagging our page in the caption or on the photo itself.

4. Can I submit more than one photo for the contest?

Yes, you can submit multiple photos, but each photo must be posted as a separate entry on your Instagram account with the required hashtag and tag.

5. How will the winners be selected?

The winners will be selected by a panel of judges based on the creativity, originality, and adherence to the theme of the photo. The winners will be announced on our Instagram page and contacted through direct message.