Two Conducting Spheres Connected

In summary, the surface charge density is actually more on the smaller sphere, but this is not a problem because the charges are less crowded tangentially.
LikwidN2
When a charge is applied to a conducting sphere and connected to another conducting sphere by an ideal thin wire (infinite distance apart), the potential at the surface of each sphere is the same.

However, that means (for spheres of different radii) that the charge density on each sphere would be unequal. This seems counterintuitive. Why wouldn't the charges maintain maximum (and therefor equal) distances from each other, giving equal charge density.

It's been proved to me using Gauss's Law, and the numbers work right, but to me that's the equivalent of saying the sky is blue because a camera detects it as being blue (apologies for the awful analogy, but I think you'll get what I mean - I want something more concrete and intuitive).

Is there any such explanation? I'm not doubting Gauss or my physics textbook, just trying to understand this seemingly fundamental concept.

Thanks in advance,
Likwid

P.S - Lucky you guys, there's actually no problem attatched to this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Naively, if the surface charge density on each sphere was the same, then the charges would be much more crowded on the smaller sphere (since it curves more into 3D).

cesiumfrog said:
Naively, if the surface charge density on each sphere was the same, then the charges would be much more crowded on the smaller sphere (since it curves more into 3D).

The surface charge density is actually more on the smaller sphere...

Thanks for both the replies all the replies. I think I finally get it.

Shooting star said:
The surface charge density is actually more on the smaller sphere...

ah. More crowded in 3D, but importantly less crowded tangentially. :smile: This naivity thing isn't working out so good anymore..

1. What is the purpose of connecting two conducting spheres?

The purpose of connecting two conducting spheres is to create a circuit in which electric charge can flow between the two spheres. This is often done in experiments or demonstrations to study the behavior of electric charge and its interactions with other objects.

2. How are the two conducting spheres connected?

The two conducting spheres are typically connected using a conducting wire or rod. This creates a direct pathway for the flow of electric charge between the two spheres.

3. What happens to the charges on the two conducting spheres when they are connected?

When the two conducting spheres are connected, the charges on the two spheres will redistribute themselves in order to reach equilibrium. This means that the excess charge on one sphere will flow to the other sphere until both spheres have the same charge.

4. How does the distance between the two conducting spheres affect the behavior of electric charge?

The distance between the two conducting spheres can affect the strength of the electric field between them. The closer the spheres are to each other, the stronger the electric field will be, which can impact the movement of charges between the spheres.

5. Can the two conducting spheres have different charges before being connected?

Yes, the two conducting spheres can have different charges before being connected. However, once they are connected, the charges will redistribute themselves to reach equilibrium, resulting in both spheres having the same charge.