Moment of inertia of a hollow sphere

In summary: R d\phi?The correct answer is supposed to be I = \frac{2mR^2}{5}Is it a hollow sphere(a spherical shell) or a solid sphere? Because the answer that you say is supposed to be correct is for a solid sphere, unless I've made some error. They're both pretty similar and I think you're going to get into trouble if you don't use curvilinear coordinates, at least it was much easier for me to do it that way.
chickendude

Homework Statement

Find the moment of inertia of a hollow sphere with mass m and radius R and uniform density

Homework Equations

Since the hollow sphere is an area, the density is mass divided by area, so:

[tex]I = \int r^2 dm = \frac{m}{A}\int r^2 dA[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

. The total area is 4pi r^2, so here is what I got

[tex]dA = 2\pi \sqrt{R^2-r^2}dr[/tex]

[tex]I = \frac{m}{4\pi R^2} \int_{-R}^{R} r^2(2\pi\sqrt{R^2-r^2})dr[/tex]

[tex]I = \frac{m}{R^2} \int_{0}^{R} r^2\sqrt{R^2-r^2}dr[/tex]

From here I made the substitution [tex]r = R\sin{\theta}[/tex] and got

[tex]I = mR^2 \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin^2\theta\cos^2\theta d\theta[/tex]

And that evaluated to pi/16, which brings me to my problemthe correct answer is supposed to be [tex]I = \frac{2mR^2}{5}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it a hollow sphere(a spherical shell) or a solid sphere? Because the answer that you say is supposed to be correct is for a solid sphere, unless I've made some error. They're both pretty similar and I think you're going to get into trouble if you don't use curvilinear coordinates, at least it was much easier for me to do it that way. My response is to a spherical shell which will not give the answer you say is correct. However, a solid sphere can be done in a similar way and does give the answer you say is correct.

First, something to notice is that in spherical coordinates a volume element is [tex] R^2 \sin (\theta) d\theta d\phi dR[/tex]. For a spherical shell R is constant and the volume element becomes an area element [tex] dA= R^2 \sin (\theta) d\theta d\phi [/tex]. Can you now do the integral keeping in mind that in your initial given equation r is the perpendicular distance from an axis passing through the center of mass? (I assumed it was moment of inertia wrt the center of mass)

You are right. I am sorry. I looked up the wrong answer in the chart.

It should be [tex]\frac{2mR^2}{3}[/tex]
I will look into the spherical coordinate method

-----------------------------------------------

Yes, it worked. The error was my r was not actually representing the perpendicular distance.

Here is what I did:

[tex]\frac{m}{A}\int r^2 dA[/tex]

[tex]A = 4\pi R^2[/tex]
[tex]r = R\sin\phi[/tex] (simple spherical geometry)
[tex]dA = 2\pi r dz = 2\pi * R\sin\phi * R d\phi[/tex] (definition of radian and the statement above)
[tex]dA = 2\pi R^2 \sin\phi d\phi[/tex]

plugging in[tex]\frac{m}{4\pi R^2} \int_{0}^{\pi} R^2\sin^2\phi * 2\pi R^2 \sin\phi d\phi[/tex]

[tex]\frac{mR^2}{2} \int_{0}^{\pi}\sin^3\phi d\phi[/tex]

That integral evaluates to 4/3, and bam, it works
Thanks a lot

Last edited:
chickendude said:
[tex]\frac{mR^2}{2} \int_{0}^{\pi}\sin^3\phi d\phi[/tex]

That integral evaluates to 4/3, and bam, it works
Thanks a lot

How would you get 4/3 for the intergral, i used substitution rule and always got 2/3 for the answer.
∫_0^π▒〖sin〗^3 ϕ dϕ=∫_0^π▒〖(1-〖cos〗^2 ϕ)〗sinϕ dϕ
u= cosϕ du=-sinϕ dϕ
so ∫_1^0▒〖-(1-u^2 )du〗=∫_0^1▒〖1-u^2 du〗 = 2/3
what is my problem?

You didn't convert the bounds of integration correctly. cos(pi)=-1, not 0.

Thanks alot...why I am so stupid...-_-llll

HI, I understand everything, except that in the solution, dz is written as R d\phi. why is that? shouldn't it be Rsin(phi)d(phi) or even, if we take x = R*cos(phi) (from that same simple geometry) than dz would be -Rsin(phi)d(phi)

Last edited:

1. What is the moment of inertia of a hollow sphere?

The moment of inertia of a hollow sphere is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is a physical property that depends on the mass distribution and shape of the sphere.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a hollow sphere calculated?

The moment of inertia of a hollow sphere can be calculated using the formula I = 2/3 * m * r2, where m is the mass of the sphere and r is the radius of the sphere. This formula assumes that the sphere is a thin shell with a constant density.

3. How does the moment of inertia of a hollow sphere compare to that of a solid sphere?

The moment of inertia of a hollow sphere is typically smaller than that of a solid sphere with the same mass and radius. This is because the mass is distributed farther away from the axis of rotation in a hollow sphere, resulting in a greater resistance to rotational motion.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a hollow sphere change with different mass distributions?

The moment of inertia of a hollow sphere is directly proportional to the mass and the square of the radius. Therefore, any changes in mass or radius will result in a change in the moment of inertia. For example, increasing the mass or the radius will increase the moment of inertia.

5. Why is the moment of inertia of a hollow sphere important?

The moment of inertia of a hollow sphere is important in understanding the rotational motion of objects, such as planets and stars. It is also crucial in engineering and design, as it affects the stability and efficiency of rotating structures.