Supersymmetry: Understanding Weinberg's Formula on Page 78

In summary, The conversation revolves around the topic of supersymmetry and the difficulties in understanding certain formulas and conclusions in Weinberg's quantum theory of fields volume 3. The formula on top of page 78 is discussed and it is determined that it is the F-term of a function of a chiral superfield. The conversation also mentions alternative resources for learning SUSY, including Wess and Bagger and lectures by Philip Argyres. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the best resources for learning SUSY and the purpose of the lecture being given by the speaker.
Eisenhorn
Greetings everyone,

I have to give a lecture about supersymmetry, so I started reading Weinbergs quantum theory of fields vol 3, which is quite of a task. Sometimes I've trouble with some of his conclusions, and I hope you could help me there.

I really do not understand how he got to the formula on top of page 78 (I've got the paperback version from 2005. there is no number, so I post the page). To write it down, this one here.

[tex] \left[f(\Phi)\right]_{\theta_L^2} =& \sum_{nm} \left( \theta^T_L \varepsilon \psi_{nL} (x) \right) \left( \theta^T_L \varepsilon \psi_{mL}(x) \right) \frac{\partial^2 f \left( \phi(x)\right)}{\partial\phi_n(x) \partial\phi_m(x)} \\
&+ \sum_n \mathcal{F}_n(x) \frac{\partial f\left( \phi(x)\right)}{\partial \phi_n(x)} \left( \theta^T_L \varepsilon \theta_L \right)
[/tex]

I think it has to be some kind of series, but I really can't calculate this. So it would be really great if someone could post the calculation of this formula.

Eisenhorn

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have W's text in front of me, but this looks like the F-term of a function of a chiral superfield. You compute such a thing simply by taylor expanding the superfield:

[tex]\Phi(x,\theta)=\phi(x)+\sqrt{2}\theta\psi(x)+\theta^2F(x)+\ldots[/tex]

where I leave out the derivative terms. Remember that the [itex]\theta[/itex] coordinates are Grassman, so the Taylor expansion terminates.

If you are just starting out learing SUSY, may I suggest Weinberg is not the book for you! The canonical text is Wess and Bagger (chapters 3-8). Also there are some great lectures by Philip Argyres at U Cincinnati: http://www.physics.uc.edu/~argyres/661/index.html

These might serve you better. Weinberg is for when you're already a master! If I may ask, what is this lecture for? Are you teaching a class? Or is this a student presentation?

Thank you for your help, but its only half the truth (I've figured it out myself this morning).
You're right, its the F-Term, but its only a tricky way writing it. If you take the [tex]\Phi[/tex] you suggested, and construct a polynom out of different [tex]\Phi_i[/tex]'s and then only take terms of the Order [tex]\theta_L^2[/tex] you get my Term. To see this, take only the [tex]\phi[/tex]-Terms of the polynom but either two of the [tex]\psi[/tex]'s, or one [tex]F[/tex]. So all terms are of the order [tex]\theta_L^2[/tex]. If you now count the possibilities of replacing one of the possibilities [tex]\phi[/tex]'s with a [tex]\psi[/tex] (two times, so you get two [tex]\theta[/tex]), you get same factor as if you just take the whole polynom in [tex]\phi[/tex] and derive in respect to [tex]\phi[/tex]. Thats the whole trick in there.

You are right, I'm just learning SUSY, but Weinbergs is the best book I could find. In my opinion, all the other books are too brief or just incomplete, including Argyres or Wess and Bagger. And you're right, Weinberg is a hard text, but at least he gives enough motivation to the things he does. I'm only missing some comments here and there. So if you know a script (other than Argyres. I got this one.) somewhere, based on Weinbergs Book with some extra remarks and comments, that would be great.

And yeah, this is a students presentation. 5 weeks to go.

And again, thank you for your help.

Eisenhorn

Weinberg does a good job going over the algebra of Supersymmetry, writing it out in painful excruciating step by step detail. Its a good exercise for every physicist to see once and awhile and he is my reference book now.

However, you don't really learn how to calculate things fast and efficiently with Weinberg and its hard to learn with. For instance his supergraph and superspace sections is abymsal and completely opaque upon first reading.

I highly suggest any number of alternatives, some of them online

eg hep-th/0108200, hep-th/9612114

Try also D. Bailin & A. Love and Srivastava if you don't like Wess and Bagger

Haelfix said:
Try also D. Bailin & A. Love and Srivastava if you don't like Wess and Bagger

Let me interject a warning about Bailin and Love: I use this book frequently in my research, as it has some very nice and clear explanations. But the editors should be ashamed of themselves: the book is FULL of **BAD** typos - sign errors, incorrect greek letters, incorrect factors of 2, etc. So if you go with their book (and I *DO* like the text) - just be careful about blindly using their equations!

1. What is supersymmetry and why is it important in physics?

Supersymmetry is a theoretical concept in physics that proposes a symmetry between fermions (particles with half-integer spin) and bosons (particles with integer spin). It is important because it can potentially explain the hierarchy problem, the existence of dark matter, and unify the fundamental forces of nature.

2. What is the Weinberg Volume 3 and how does it relate to supersymmetry?

The Weinberg Volume 3 is a book written by American theoretical physicist Steven Weinberg that delves into the mathematical and theoretical aspects of supersymmetry. It provides a comprehensive understanding of the subject and its applications in particle physics.

3. How does supersymmetry solve the hierarchy problem?

The hierarchy problem refers to the large difference in energy scales between gravity and the other three fundamental forces. Supersymmetry proposes that for every known particle, there exists a "superpartner" with the same mass but a different spin. This symmetry between particles and their superpartners cancels out the contributions to the Higgs mass from these particles, thereby solving the hierarchy problem.

4. What is the experimental evidence for supersymmetry?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for supersymmetry. However, some indirect evidence has been found, such as the recent discovery of the Higgs boson at the Large Hadron Collider, which supports the idea of supersymmetry. Scientists are also actively searching for the predicted superpartners of known particles.

5. What are some potential implications of proving supersymmetry?

If supersymmetry is proven to be true, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It would provide a more complete and unified theory of all fundamental forces and particles, and potentially open up new areas of research and technological advancements. It could also shed light on the mysteries of dark matter and the origins of the universe.