Space traveler and time dilation

In summary, a space traveler moves at 0.81c towards the star Vega, which is 26 ly away from Earth. Using the equation t = t prime / sqr. root of (1 - v^{}2/c^{}2), it is found that the elapsed time on Earth is 32.0988 years. To find the age the Earth observers will see the traveler as, the same elapsed time is plugged into the equation, resulting in an age of 54.7359 years. However, this is incorrect as the elapsed time in the traveler's frame should be used instead. Using the correct equation, t' = t / sqr. root of (1 - v^{}2/c^{}2), the age
chenying

Homework Statement

A space traveler takes off from Earth and moves at speed 0.81c toward the star Vega, which is 26 ly distant.

How much older will Earth observers calculate the traveler to be (according to her) when she reaches Vega than she was when she started the trip?

Homework Equations

t = t prime / sqr. root of (1 - v[tex]^{}2[/tex]/c[tex]^{}2[/tex])

the v and the c are supposed to be squared.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above equation to first find the time that has elapsed in earth, which came out to be 32.0988 years.

Then i used that same number and set it as my t so i can find the amount of time again, since they asked for the age the Earth observers will see the traveler based on her age

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chenying said:

Homework Statement

A space traveler takes off from Earth and moves at speed 0.81c toward the star Vega, which is 26 ly distant.

How much older will Earth observers calculate the traveler to be (according to her) when she reaches Vega than she was when she started the trip?

Homework Equations

t = t prime / sqr. root of (1 - v[tex]^{}2[/tex]/c[tex]^{}2[/tex])

the v and the c are supposed to be squared.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above equation to first find the time that has elapsed in earth, which came out to be 32.0988 years.

Then i used that same number and set it as my t so i can find the amount of time again, since they asked for the age the Earth observers will see the traveler based on her age

When you use tex tags, put the whole equation inside the tags... like this. Click on the formula to see how it was typeset.
[tex]t = \frac{t'}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}[/tex]

What you've done sounds good. What did you get?

I got 54.7359 years, which was wrong. The wording of the question is really confusing and I do not know how to go about it.

chenying said:
I got 54.7359 years, which was wrong. The wording of the question is really confusing and I do not know how to go about it.

I think you have mixed up your t and t'. In the equation, t is elapsed time as measured by someone on Earth. t' is the elapsed time in the frame of the traveler

ok I understand that, but the wording of the question really confuses me. They want the how much older the woman is (based on her frame) but from their frame??

chenying said:
ok I understand that, but the wording of the question really confuses me. They want the how much older the woman is (based on her frame) but from their frame??

Not so much "based on her frame", but rather how much she herself has aged. You can calculate how much older she is in her own experience (that is, "according to her") in any frame you like. They all give the same answer for how much she herself has aged.

Cheers -- sylas

1. What is time dilation in space travel?

Time dilation is a phenomenon where time appears to pass slower for an observer who is moving at high speeds or in a strong gravitational field. This means that a person traveling through space at high speeds will experience time passing slower compared to someone on Earth.

2. How does time dilation affect space travelers?

Time dilation can greatly impact space travelers, as it means that they will age slower than those on Earth. This could potentially lead to a significant difference in age between the space traveler and those on Earth upon their return.

3. What is the cause of time dilation in space travel?

The cause of time dilation is the theory of relativity, which states that time and space are relative to the observer's frame of reference. In the case of space travel, the high speeds and strong gravitational fields create a different frame of reference, causing time to dilate.

4. Can time dilation be reversed in space travel?

No, time dilation cannot be reversed. Once a space traveler experiences time dilation, they will always have aged slower than those on Earth. However, the effects of time dilation can be mitigated by traveling at slower speeds.

5. How is time dilation measured in space travel?

Time dilation can be measured using highly accurate clocks, such as atomic clocks, on Earth and on a spacecraft. By comparing the time elapsed on both clocks, the amount of time dilation can be calculated. This has been confirmed through experiments and observations, such as the famous Hafele-Keating experiment.