Maximum Number of Bright Fringes on a Diffraction Grating with 620 lines/mm?

In summary, using 477 nm light, a third-order bright fringe can be seen at a 31.0 degree angle. This fringe is 2.4 meters away from the central maximum on the screen. 5 total bright fringes can be seen on the screen.
kevnm67

Homework Statement

A diffraction grating with 620 lines per mm is illuminated with light of wavelength 520 nm. A very wide viewing screen is 2.0 m behind the grating. (Note: 1 mm = 10-3 m; 1 nm =10-9 m)
a) What is the distance between the two m=1 bright fringes? (Express your answer in meters)
b) How many bright fringes can be seen on the screen

Homework Equations

m = d(sinθ)/λ
y=Ltanθ

The Attempt at a Solution

A)
d(sinθ)=mλ
=sin-1 (1x(520x10-9)/(1/620 x10-3))
=18.81

y=Ltanθ
tan(18.81)x2
=.34
.34 x 2 x 2 = 1.36 meters

B) ?
m = d(sinθ)/λ
but when I use this equation I do not get the correct answer. I am at a loss if someone can walk me through this part.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
kevnm67 said:
B) ?
m = d(sinθ)/λ
but when I use this equation I do not get the correct answer. I am at a loss if someone can walk me through this part.
What did you use for θ?

I tried the theta I solved for, 18.81, and 90. I wasn't sure about that part of the equation

kevnm67 said:
I tried the theta I solved for, 18.81, and 90. I wasn't sure about that part of the equation
Trying θ = 18.81 will just give you back m = 1, which you already know. θ = 90 is what you want.

Alright. When I do that I get 3.1, which is 3.1 x 2 = 6.2 but the answer is 7. What I am doing wrong?

Thanks for your help help!

Getting m = 3.1 tells you that the highest order of fringe that you could see would be m = 3. (You won't see m = 4.)

Don't forget the center fringe, where m = 0.

Ok, that's what I was thinking...so it's 3 above the central max and 3 below plus 1 b/c you include m=0 ?

kevnm67 said:
Ok, that's what I was thinking...so it's 3 above the central max and 3 below plus 1 b/c you include m=0 ?
You got it.

Great! thanks for your help.

I have one more question:

To get the value of m=0 do you always add 1?

kevnm67 said:
I have one more question:

To get the value of m=0 do you always add 1?
I don't understand the question. m=0 is the central maximum. (Add 1 to what?)

If you mean: To find the total number of fringes given a maximum value of m, then yes add 1 to 2*mmax.

after solving for the no. of fringes per side of the central max you get 6.2 but must account for m=0, which is why 1 was added to 6.2 and you get 7?

kevnm67 said:
after solving for the no. of fringes per side of the central max you get 6.2 but must account for m=0, which is why 1 was added to 6.2 and you get 7?
Right. Just think in terms of counting them up. 3 fringes on each side of the center plus one in the middle.

great, thanks Doc Al!

Doc Al said:
Right. Just think in terms of counting them up. 3 fringes on each side of the center plus one in the middle.

Doc Al,

I want to run this by you if you get this post...
A 3600 line/cm diffraction grating produces a third-order bright fringe at a 31.0 degree angle.
(Recall: 1 cm = 10-2 m; 1 mm = 10-3 m; 1 nm =10-9 m)
A) What wavelength (in nm) of light is being used?
a. 477 nm b. 1430 nm c. 233 nm
B) What is the distance (in meters) between this third-order bright fringe and the central maximum on the screen 2.0 meters away?
a. 2.4 m b. 1.2 m c. 2.2 m
C) How many total bright fringes can be seen on the screen?
a. 3 b. 5 c. 11

For C) would you do the following:
(1/3600) x 10-2 sin(90)/(477 x 10-9)
= 5.8
so 5 fringes up and 5 fringes down for a total of 10 fringes but to account for the central max you add 1 to get 11, choice C?
And is 90 degrees what you use in every scenario?

kevnm67 said:
For C) would you do the following:
(1/3600) x 10-2 sin(90)/(477 x 10-9)
= 5.8
so 5 fringes up and 5 fringes down for a total of 10 fringes but to account for the central max you add 1 to get 11, choice C?
And is 90 degrees what you use in every scenario?
Yes to all of that. Good!

Thanks for your help!

1. What is the maximum number of bright fringes in a double-slit experiment?

The maximum number of bright fringes in a double-slit experiment is determined by the number of wavelengths that can fit between the two slits. This is known as the interference order or "m" value and is calculated using the formula m = d sinθ / λ, where d is the distance between the two slits, θ is the angle of diffraction, and λ is the wavelength of the light source.

2. How does changing the distance between the slits affect the maximum number of bright fringes?

Changing the distance between the slits will alter the interference order or "m" value, which in turn affects the maximum number of bright fringes. As the distance between the slits increases, the m value decreases and therefore the number of bright fringes decreases. Conversely, decreasing the distance between the slits will result in a higher m value and more bright fringes.

3. Can the maximum number of bright fringes be infinite?

No, the maximum number of bright fringes is limited by the physical dimensions of the double-slit setup and the wavelength of the light source. As the m value approaches infinity, the bright fringes become increasingly faint and eventually blend into the background, making it impossible to distinguish individual fringes.

4. Does the color of the light source affect the maximum number of bright fringes?

Yes, the color (or wavelength) of the light source does affect the maximum number of bright fringes. This is because the m value is directly proportional to the wavelength of the light, meaning that different colors of light will have different interference orders and therefore different numbers of bright fringes.

5. Can the number of bright fringes be determined by any other factors besides the interference order?

Yes, besides the interference order, the number of bright fringes can also be affected by the width of the slits, the distance between the slits and the screen, and the angle of incidence of the light. These factors all play a role in determining the interference pattern and therefore the maximum number of bright fringes.