Computer Engineering to Electrical w/Minor in Physics

In summary, the individual is considering switching from Computer Engineering to Electrical Engineering with a minor in Physics to focus on the hardware of electronic devices and gain a better understanding of materials and theories in technology. They are seeking opinions on this decision.
dimpledur
Hello all,
I was considering switching from my current degree of Computer Engineering to Electrical Engineering with a Minor in Physics (with a focus on materials science). Reason for the switch is I am much more interested in the hardware of electronic devices, as opposed to the software. Reason for the Minor in Physics is to perhaps get attain a better grasp on the materials of technologies and the theories behind them. Thus far my Engineering degree exceptionally lacks in this area, compared to some of the physics courses that I have taken. Does anyone have an opinion on the route that I am taking?
Regards, D.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that switching to Electrical Engineering with a minor in Physics is a great idea if you're more interested in the hardware of electronic devices. The minor in Physics will help you gain a better understanding of the materials and theories behind technology. It will also give you the opportunity to explore different aspects of engineering and physics that you may not have had access to before. Overall, I think it's a great choice and will benefit you greatly in the long run.

1. What is the difference between computer engineering and electrical engineering?

Computer engineering is a branch of engineering that combines principles of both electrical engineering and computer science to design and develop computer systems. Electrical engineering, on the other hand, focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. While both fields involve the use of technology, computer engineering tends to focus more on software and hardware design, while electrical engineering focuses on the generation, distribution, and use of electricity.

2. Why would someone choose to combine computer engineering and electrical engineering with a minor in physics?

Combining these three fields allows for a well-rounded understanding of how technology works and can be applied in various industries. A minor in physics can provide a deeper understanding of scientific principles, which can be valuable in developing innovative solutions and technologies.

3. What career options are available for someone with a degree in computer engineering, electrical engineering, and a minor in physics?

Graduates with this combination of degrees have a wide range of career options, including software engineer, hardware engineer, systems analyst, data scientist, research scientist, and more. They may also work in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, defense, and consumer electronics.

4. Is it necessary to have a minor in physics if I want to pursue a career in computer engineering or electrical engineering?

No, it is not necessary to have a minor in physics to have a successful career in computer engineering or electrical engineering. However, having a minor in physics can provide a deeper understanding of scientific principles and may make you a more competitive candidate for certain positions.

5. What skills are important for someone studying computer engineering, electrical engineering, and physics?

Some important skills for these fields include problem-solving, critical thinking, analytical skills, programming knowledge, and strong mathematical skills. Additionally, strong communication and teamwork skills are valuable for working in a collaborative environment.